28. Children Born of Darkness

Title: Children Born of Darkness

Genre: Angst, Hurt/Comfort

Characters: Toshiro, Ichigo, Schwarz, Juhabach, Bambietta

Summary: Ichigo finds out that Toshiro and he have a lot more in common then he previously thought.

Rating: T

Children Born of Darkness

"I cut off the puppies ear!" A small figure danced in front of Juhabach as he stepped back into their home territory. He watched as the small child bounced, twirled and jumped across the floor.

"For a child to have such a freedom despite being forced to live in such a prison as this is amazing. I would rather she have grown up here where her spirit can thrive and be itself rather then in that stifling Soul Society." The man turned to look at Schwarz, narrowing his eyes as he did so. "I see you weren't able to bring her brother home."

"I ran out of time and found myself unable to knock the boy out despite my best efforts. On the positive side, I simply left him with a head injury. Though I must say, I am loath to leave him with that woman, that trickster."

"Watch your tongue. Despite the fact I understand your dislike and lack of respect for that woman, keep in mind she is the mother of your brother's children." The man turned back towards the throne room. "I found myself unable to bring back Kurosaki Ichigo as well, another child of darkness. The sooner we get them under our protection the better. Of course, they'll come to us. You still have the boy's bankai release?"

"I can start repairing some of the walls that have weakened greatly, if you so choose." The man stated, his lips pushing together.

"Don't worry. I'll leave that task for the boy when he gets here. Soon, I'll have all my children born of darkness here, my sons and my daughters."

Ichigo walked along, the look in his eyes revealing that something was bothering him deeply. Most people would have assumed it was simply because Yamamoto was now dead and that he was morning the old man, but there was more to it then that. A soft crunching of rubble caused him to suddenly look up and see a very child like face looking down at him. "You seem to have gotten off better then some of the others."

Toshiro hopped down to where Ichigo was, his head bandaged tightly. "I'll simply say that if my opponent hadn't treated me like a child, I would likely be in the same position as Kenpachi and Byakuya. The news has it that both have survived, but they won't likely be able to help us in the upcoming battle."

"So the old man really is dead then?" Ichigo glanced away, frowning as he did so.

"His blade is shattered in many, many pieces." The boy watched as the Substitute Shinigami continued to walk away from him. "Ichigo... can we talk?"

The teenager suddenly froze, a look of shock coming to his face. "I don't want to really talk about what that bastard told me just yet."

"I was actually wanting to talk to you about what my opponent told me. Actually, it was Matsumoto who suggested I talk to you because what that person said bothered me. She hates it when I keep things in, but knows there are certain things I can't talk to her about. She's been redirecting me to the new taicho of the fifth division when it comes to my problems with Hinamori. Talking to him has helped a lot."

Ichigo turned around and sat down on a rather large piece of rubble. "Go ahead and talk."

Toshiro glanced away. "I told you that my opponent kept treating me like a child, but he kept referring to the fact I was a child way to much for my liking. It seemed way to important to him that I was a child and that he wasn't supposed to do me any major harm. He also kept calling Rangiku some really nasty names that I dare not repeat."

"Toshiro..." Ichigo closed his eyes. "Why do you have a problem with people calling you a kid when you are one?"

"Matsumoto says I worry to much about getting disrespected for my age." The boy glanced away. "It was different this time though, and even she knows it was different. The way he worded it..."

"Wait..." The substitutes head suddenly darted up. "How did he word it."

"He referred to me as a child born of darkness."

Ichigo found himself suddenly standing up and grabbing the boy's shoulder. "There is something else he said to you that he isn't telling me, that you're afraid to tell me aren't you?"

"There isn't..." Toshiro glanced away.

"He said something about how he was planning on taking you away to join them, wasn't he? Before he left I mean."

The small Shinigami pulled away, slapping Ichigo's hands away. "Don't be ludicrous. I would never, ever join them, so suggesting that I would..." Two teal eyes looked at that ground. "That is just ridiculous. There is no way I would let them re-educate me."

"Are you saying that my suggestion that he said they were planning on kidnapping you as well as re-educating you was ridiculous? Or are you saying that the idea that they could get you to turn on Soul Society and everything you know is ridiculous?"

The small taicho glanced up, a great deal of anger in his eyes. "I'm more curious as to how you know the conversation I had with this person before I even told you Kurosaki."

"That bastard called me his son born of darkness."

"That's..." Toshiro suddenly glanced away, his teeth gritting together.

"Toshiro... can you trust me? What is it that you aren't telling me?" Ichigo looked down on the boy. "I'll tell you what else he told me, if you tell me what else you were told."

"He said something about the majesty wanting his son of darkness back in reference to me. But he also said it about you." The boy glanced at the ground still.

"Why do I have the feeling that you still aren't telling me what is bothering you."

"I wasn't born here in Soul Society. I died and came here on a plain of ice. So, saying I am a child of born of darkness indicates that I had to be born somewhere, but..."

"That's funny." Ichigo began to scratch his head in confusion. "I would have thought that your inner world would have been a plain of ice. Are you sure that you died and came to Soul Society, or that you weren't for some reason born here, or even brought here after you were born?"

Toshiro glanced up, his eyes going wide. "Kurosaki, what do you know?"

"The bastard brought up my dead mother. Apparently on top of having a father who is a Shinigami, my mother is in some way related to the Quincy. The only reason I've got as little damage as I do is because I used some sort of defense mechanism that I saw one of the Quincy use, which is where he told me my Quincy blood had re-awakened and other confusing shit. Including the fact I am a son born of darkness."

Ichigo watched as the small taicho went and sat on the rubble. "You know we can't tell the others about this. Do you think that friend of yours knows?"

"What do you mean?"

"I thought the reason he treated me differently from the other Shinigami. I knew it wasn't because of my rank as he didn't treat the other captains differently. I thought it was because he saw me as a child and didn't feel I should be exposed to the tripe of Shinigami versus Quincy... but now..."

"It is possible he knows." Ichigo took a deep breath.

"At least you have an idea who your parents are." Toshiro spoke up, his hands clenching at the pants part of his uniform.

"I doubt I'll find out that my dad isn't my real dad. The idea that he's not my father is a tad ludicrous. I mean, I know that we have similar powers, but his zampaktuo has a different name and all."

"Can we just pretend we haven't had this conversation?"

"Yeah... but if you need to talk to someone, chances are I'm likely the best candidate."