Chapter 55:

I wake up early the next morning and look at my phone for the first time in a while. There were a ton of new notifications. Some from Nikki, but also a lot of business emails.

I open my email, ignoring all the rest of the notifications I really don't care about.  I already know why Nikki left me voice mails and texts so I don't need to read them or listen to them.

I see the most recent email from Jeff which is a forwarded plane ticket. The time is in two hours out of Jamaica and to California where Nikki would probably be staying at her apartment.

I get up and get dressed and pack a small bag. I was only planning on staying in America for a day or two at the most. I still had work to do but Jeff had insisted last night that I go talk things out with Nikki.

And after talking to Mitch, his words of advice meant a lot and I needed to listen to him too. I would have a few hours during the flight to think about what I needed to say to her.

I walk through the house which was silent and dark. I only bumped into one table on my way out. Luckily, the car Jeff called for me was already outside and waiting for me.

"To the airport, correct?" the man asks, walking up to me, holding his hand out for my bag. I nod and hand it to him.

He opens the back seat car door and I get in before he puts my bag in the trunk.

He gets in the driver's side and starts his way to the airport.

- - -
The plane lands on time and I turn back on my phone. No new notifications come in.

I send Nikki a text message, to give her a heads up of my arrival. Although, if she's keeping tabs on me she might know I've just landed in California from any press sights.

New Text Message to Nikki Park:
Me: Hey. We need to talk. I just landed here in California. I'm coming to your apartment unless you're somewhere else.

I press send and stand up, ready to exit the plane. I slide my phone into my pocket and get in line and start to walk off the plane with my bag in hand.

I get off the plane and feel my phone vibrate. I pull it out and look down, seeing a message from Nikki.

New Text Message from Nikki Park:
Nikki: Ok.

I sigh. I don't know what I was hoping for. Maybe more of a response but I guess she was just angry and didn't want to text it out.

I get a taxi outside, and a few people catch my eye and stare me down. They recognize me but I was walking through the airport and to the taxi too quick.

I get in the taxi and tell the driver Nikki's address. In about twenty minutes, we pull up to her apartment. I see her car parked in front so I know she's there.

A part of me hopes Mack isn't there too. I know that Mack will obviously take Nikki's side on whatever happens but I don't want her to be in the way and try to make Nikki think different from anything I'm about to tell her.

Which I'm not really sure of what I want to tell her. I tried to think about it on the plane but I just decided to go with whatever happens because I know that no matter what I have in mind, it won't happen the same way.

I give the driver the fare of the ride and get out, grabbing my bag. I walk up the few steps and knock on the front door.

Luckily the door swings open and it's Nikki. She stands there and stares at me. She looks annoyed but she steps to the side, letting me walk in.

I brush by her and she closes the door behind me. I look around and notice she changed the furniture around in the living room.

"When did you change up the place?" I ask her, as I toss my bag gently against a wall.