chapter fifty-two: silent promises

at the edge of the cliff

chapter fifty-two: silent promises

Walking up to the Delgato's house was probably the most nerve wracking thing I could possibly think of. My feet touched the first step up to the big porch and I almost spun around and left right there. But of course that couldn't happen. The door slowly opens and Grayson Delgato himself walked outside, silently shutting the door behind him. I froze in my place, one foot on the step, one foot on the ground. He finally turned completely around and jumps back, startled when he sees me. A small smile slowly creeps on his face when he sees me. "Hey?" Even though he looked somewhat happy to see me, it didn't stop the confusion that came from the word. I let out a nervous chuckle, letting my eyes wander somewhere else. He walked down the steps making me step back once he reached the bottom. "Whatcha doing here?" He asks, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"You sound like you don't want to see me." I joke, faking a pout, since I didn't know what else to say. He laughed out loud shaking his head.

"You caught me." He said walking around me to his car. I laughed. When I seen he was only in socks, I realized that he wasn't leaving like I had thought when he walked out. I watched as he opened the passenger door and reached inside to pull out his phone charger a second later. He spun around after shutting the door and leans up against it. "But for real, what's up?" I could only shrug at the question. I haven't seen him since the day my mom got out. We've texted a little but I haven't seen him. I stand beside him.

"Missed you I guess." I confess in a mumble kind of embarrassed. I glance up at him through my lashes to see him with a breathtaking smile looking down at me. "Yeah, don't say you missed me too or any thing." I scoff sarcastically waving my hand around dissmissivly. I bite back a smile as he grabs my arm and pulls me where I'm standing in front of him. He wraps both of his arms around my shoulders as he rests his chin on the top of my head.

"I haven't stopped thinkin' about you." He says softly making me believe him a thousand percent. If I was a normal girl, maybe I would have blushed or something, but I could only grin at the ground.

"So what's up?" I ask awkwardly. I don't know what's up with me. Usually I talk to him no problemo, but recently? Its not the easiest task. He chuckles.

"Well, my parents just got back from a buissness trip a couple hours ago, so they're sleeping. And I came out to get my charger." He explained. I only nodded. "How's things with your mom?" He question. My mind thought back to the last time he asked about my parents. He didn't even know I got mad at him about that. I'm not anymore of course. But I remember when I couldn't answer that question because I didn't know. Now I can say, "oh she's good" or something.

I lean back completely into his chest as his grip tightens.

"Its been a full week, but I always want to be right with her. I feel like I'm in a dream and one day I'm gonna wake up and she's gonna be gone." I confess not knowing I was going to say that until it came out. He sighs as he places a sweet kiss on the top of my head.

"She's not going anywhere." He says with so much certainty in his voice. I know that but I don't feel like that. I feel like one day I'm going to wake up and all of this was some wonderful dream. I haven't left the house in a week, and on the rare occasions I did, my mom was with me.

"I just don't wanna lose her again." I mumble staring off in the distance. He tightens his grip even more.

"Your not. Not gonna lose her. Or me. Or anyone." He speaks as he turns me around to face him. He continues. "This is a good thing that is happening. Your not a bad person, you don't deserve all the shit that has happened to you. You've just gotten used to it. But now you need to get used to the world rewarding you for how strong you've been. You deserve all of the good thats gonna happen." As he talked I felt tears well in my eyes, but immediately blink them away as I smile up at him. "And," he starts, a faint smirk twitching his lips. He pulls me where I am completely pushed up against him, my hands on his chest, his hands resting on my hips. "as long as I am here you won't have to deal with the bad things anymore." He says his head slowly dipping down to whisper the words in my here. Again, if I was a normal girl, I'd probably blush, but all I could do was grin stupidly up at him.