chapter twenty-seven: drinking to forget type

at the edge of the cliff

chapter twenty seven: drinking to forget type

Throwing some clothes at Jemma, I go back into my closet to find something to wear for the party. "Hurry up! We said we would pick up what's his name." I hear Ryder say from inside my room. I left with Jemma after she showed up and Ryder rode back with his mom. I hear Jemma tell him to shut up and I smile to myself. They really are perfect for each other. She is a cute little nerd and he is a big bad boy and they just go like peanut butter and jelly.

I get a pair of dark denim skinny jeans and a long sleeved black crop top and I walk out of the closet.

"And how do I look?" I ask spinning. Maybe not the best party clothes but it's freezing outside and I am not tryna be cold.

"Hot." Jemma grins. I roll my eyes. I bring my hands up to my head and start to pull my hair back into a ponytail.

"You've never called me hot." Ryder pouts to Jemma. I roll my eyes playfully as she gives him a quick kiss.

"Are you ready yet? I've been waiting forever." I say messing with them. I grab my phone and start to go downstairs.

"She's just...a handful." I hear Ryder complain. I wait for them by the door as they take their time. My phone vibrates in my hand and I push the on button to see what it was. An unknown number is displayed on the screen and I swipe over to read it.

Your going to regret that.

I looked down at the phone then immediately looked around the room. I'm going to regret what?

What happened earlier.

I hear their footsteps and I shove my phone in my pocket as quickly as possible. When they get down I pull open the door and make my way to Ryder's car. I climb in the back seat while Ryder is driving, obviously, and Jemma sits in the passenger.

"Justin lives in the last house two streets over." I tell Ryder who just starts to drive. The couple has their own conversation in the front as I sit and let my head wander off in the back. Was it Amilio or my dad who texted me? How did they get my new number? Wen forced me to get a whole new number instead of just blocking them. Which I understand. I have felt better about being away from them, until now at least. I was pretty sure neither knew where I'm staying up until now, but they could. Its not like this is the biggest town.

A figure appears on the sidewalk as we pull into front of Justin's house. Something about the house looks familiar but I shake it off thinking I probably just drove by it before.

"Who's ready to party?!" Justin opens the door screaming at all of us. I laugh and scoot over letting him in.

"Are you already drunk?" I ask him with an eyebrow raised. He looks at me like I am crazy but ends up nodding anyway.

"Yeah a little. I needed to get hyped up." he shrugs closing the door. We start the drive to Rick's place, all of us just singing to the music that Ryder was playing.

It was fun.

But for some reason I couldn't get into it. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Maybe I am just supposed to be this miserable person forever who never gets a break. Yes, I know it could be worse. There are people out there who are stuck in my position except without someone there to help. There are sick people out there and I get that, but right now, these past few weeks, months, years have felt like hell. And I haven't wanted to admit that to myself. But now that's all I can think about. I used to be this badass girl who said and did what she wanted and didn't give a shit. And even though I was slowly breaking down and everything inside was eating me alive, I was so good at hiding it, I even believed that I was okay. Now, everything has gone down hill and that everything happens for a reason bullshit is slowly slipping away. I'm trying to keep a certain mindset, but I'm going insane, meaning my mind isn't in the best place at the moment.