Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn

I was dead

I was dead. That much I knew.

I was surrounded by darkness, but when I looked up, I could see the Moon.

I looked at my hands. I was in no pain. Everything was peaceful.

"Do I have any regrets?"

"No," I said aloud, but that didn't feel right.

"Yes?" I asked gingerly and immediately images filled my head.

I could see my friends, Hau, Robert, Lillie, Gladion, and...

"Alex," I whispered.

Then I thought of my Pokémon. Decidueye, my first partner in Alola. Lycanroc, the pup I rescued from Team Radiance. Gyarados, the once shiny Magikarp I also rescued from Radiance. Kabutops, the Kabuto who chose me. Mimi, the Mimikyu who everyone is terrified of. Mahina, the one I promised I would take care of and give a better life. and Arcanine.

"I saved you from those Night Hunters," I said, laying on my back, studying the Moon. "You and I buddy, we, no, we were partners."

I thought of Jessie, James, and Meowth. They were the closest thing to family I had and were always kind and loving towards me, even in those dark moments.

"Do I have any more regrets?" I asked.

I wanted to say no, but there was still something missing. I closed my eyes and tried to see. I cold see someone. Someone, someone from my past. Then it clicked.

"Giovanni," I realized, and I opened my eyes.

I sat up. Why Giovanni?

"I regret," I hesitated, afraid to voice it aloud. "I regret leaving him. I regret that I'm unable to go back."

I clenched a fist, but unclenched it, staring at my palm. "I regret not having the chance to try and change him."

"He loves me," I said with conviction. "In some twisted way I know my father loves me."

"I wish," I said, looking to the Moon. "I wish I had one more chance. Just one. s I can change him. I need to. I have to."

"Purpose. Good. That will make this a lot easier."

I lowered my gaze to see the Prowler standing before me, her golden fur lighting up the darkness.

I got to my feet, still dwarfed by the Prowler. "You're here? Why are you here? Why us your fur golden again?"

She snorted. "Seems like death has given you a lot of questions."

"So, I did die?" I asked. "This isn't a dream, or a vision?"

She shook her head. "No. you died doing your duty as the Hero Born of Darkness."

"Hero Born of Darkness," I repeated, the words not feeling right on my tongue. "You know, I don't feel like him anymore. The Hero Born of Darkness I mean. It's like..."