Chapter 5: The Festival

When Lillie and I reached Iki Town, we saw Hau with an older fellow with a potbelly in a yellow Alolan shirt

When Lillie and I reached Iki Town, we saw Hau with an older fellow with a potbelly in a yellow Alolan shirt. However, I could tell he was different from the average person. This must be the Kahuna. Hau's grandfather, Hala.

Hau spotted us and waved us over. "Zeno! Lillie! You're here! Great! The festival has just begun!"

When we reached them, Hau grinned. "Found Tutu here taking a stroll up Route 1. Must have passed him when we were on it. But looks like you managed to find Lillie."

I nodded. "Helped her out of a bit of trouble. I even met Tapu Koko."

Hau shouted, "NO WAY!" as Hala's eyebrows shot up.

Hala studied me. "So you say Tapu Koko visited you?"

Lillie shook her head. "Zeno helped save Nebby, but Tapu Koko had to save them both from falling onto the rocks in the river by the ruins."

"He even dropped this," I showed Hala my Z-ring, which I had fitted onto my left wrist.

Hala frowned. "Black Z-rings are normally only gifted to Kahunas or those who have proved themselves with for one, such as completing the Island Challenge. Our Guardian is a fickle creature, so it must see something extraordinary in you."

A shiver ran down my spine, the praising word ringing a strange sound in my head. "I'm not anything extraordinary. I'm just a somebody from Kanto."

Hala laughed a booming laugh. "Modest eh! Well, it seems what Tapu Koko sees in you is yet to show!"

I was going to respond, but people milling around the wooden platform distracted me. Apparently it got Hala's attention as well.

"It seems the festival is to begin," Hala said, holding out his hand to me. "May I know your name?"

"Zeno," I responded, shaking the extended hand.

He nodded. "You and Hau will make for a good festival opening."

He walked over to the platform as I raised my eyebrow at Hau, who was obviously excited.

Hala stood on the platform as Hau fist bumped me. "Ready for our rematch?"

I shrugged, allowing myself to grin. "Why not?"

Hau looked towards the platform, practically bouncing. "Then let's do this!"

We made our way to the opposite sides of the platform. Hala was doing a speech or a ritual, I didn't really know.

"For all life on our islands..." Hala spoke. "And for those who undertake the Island Challenge with joy in their hearts... We pray for your protection... For them and all Melemele. This battle between two new trainers shall be an offering to Tapu Koko, our island's Guardian Deity."

Hala looked at Hau, who stood towards the left of Hala. "Hau, the grandson of the Kahuna, step forth."

Hau grinned and walked onto the platform.