Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration

I sighed, leaning against a tree overlooking Hau'oli Cemetery

I sighed, leaning against a tree overlooking Hau'oli Cemetery. That is, what was left of it. People and Pokemon were working to get everything in order all over Alola. There were also plenty of graves to be made and filled.

I looked towards one grave in particular. Nanu's. We won, but he succumbed to his wounds a day after we located a Nurse Joy. 

Acerola came up to stand beside me, looking down at the same spot as I, her eyes full of grief, but she also wore a sad smile. "Looks like his duty as Kahuna now falls to me."

I nodded. "Indeed. How are you holding up?"

She gave a small laugh. "Pretty well actually. I mean, he's still here isn't he? Just because one's body dies, does not mean the soul does as well."

She smiled at me. "And you're living proof of that."

I nodded. "I guess. Being dead was, strange, to say the least. I knew I was, but I couldn't stop thinking about living."

I sighed. "But maybe that's because I have too many regrets, too many things left unfinished."

Acerola put a hand on my shoulder. "Like Alex?"

"Yes," I said. "I never got enough time with her, nor with all of my friends. Or..."

I hesitated, not wanting to dwell upon my father at the moment.

Acerola respected my silence and turned to walk away, before turning back around again. "Oh, by the way. The Prowler has requested your presence in Hau'oli City. She wants to discuss something with you."

Nodding, I jumped down into the cemetery and walked through it, trying not to glance at the names of the deceased. Several people digging holes looked up at me as I passed, whispers of the Hero Born of Darkness following me out of the graveyard. I tried to not let it bother me, but I gripped a fist anyway. They thought of me as their savior.

"Maybe I am," I thought, unclenching my hand. "At least I'm not like I used to be."

As I made my way through Hau'oli City, I surveyed the damage. All parts of it were damaged and little were salvageable. I figured the same could be seen around Alola. 

"How'd it all end up like this," I thought sadly. 

"At least Alola still lives on," I said in a whisper. "At least the Shadow has fallen."

Eventually, I made it to the center of the city where I saw the Prowler, Breaker, and Stalker gathered. 

I smiled. "What's up?"

The Prowler nodded her head at me. "We wish to talk Zeno. About Alola's future."

I nodded. "You are the Guardians of Alola again. Why do you need me?"

"We need you," the Prowler said. "Because you are the one who saved Alola. If not for your deeds, the Ultra Beasts and Tapus would've been the least of our worries."