Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!

By the time Gladion and I got to Malie City, got new clothes identical to my old charred ones, it was night

By the time Gladion and I got to Malie City, got new clothes identical to my old charred ones, it was night. We made our way to Malie Garden, where the Johto Festival was taking place. Food carts with Johto delicacies were set up around the Garden and an abundant of Johto native Pokémon were wandering around.

I breathed in the air tinged with the sweet smell of food. "Ah, almost feels like home. I've only been to Johto twice, but it still feels nostalgic."

Gladion shooed away a curious Chikorita. "Bothersome Johto Pokémon. I don't see what the big deal is about Johto."

"It's for Alola's history," a girl with a Johto style hat said, walking up to us and picking up Chikorita in her arms. "The name's Lyra. Yours?"

"Zeno," I said smiling. "And Emo Boy here is Gladion. He's the grumpy sort of person, but he's a real softie at heart."

Gladion scowled, definitely not showing his soft heart personality.

Lyra smiled. "Nice to meet you two."

Gladion raised an eyebrow. "You were talking about Alola's history?"

"Oh, yeah," she said cheerfully. "It's more of Malie City's history more than anything though."

"Go on," I said, my curiosity piqued.

She smiled at me. "A couple hundred years ago, several people from Johto sailed here, looking for a place to settle down in. When they found the tribe people living here, they taught them many things. They helped create the very place we stand in."

Gladion shrugged. "I still don't see the point."

I sighed. "Don't mind him. His sister forced him to come."

Lyra shrugged. "What do you expect from such an edgy looking guy."

We both had a good laugh while Gladion's scowl deepened.

"Anyway," Lyra said, wiping an imaginary tear from her eye. "Enjoy the Festival. It's going to go on for a couple more hours and I got work to do. See ya!"

She ran off and Gladion gave me a dirty look.

"What," I said innocently. "I'm only stating the truth here."

Then I heard loud gasps from everyone around us. I turned around to see Plumeria strutting into Malie Garden with the Skull Boys. In the lead was a guy with punk clothes, white hair with weird sunglasses and a golden S bling. The way he dressed and carried himself told me immediately he was Team Skull's boss.

"Their boss," Gladion confirmed my unspoken thoughts. "Guzma."

Guzma walked purposely up to someone in the crowd of people starting to gather. The crowd parted to reveal Guzma face-to-face with Kukui.

Guzma gave a wide grin, hands on hips. "The hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up... Yeah. It's ya boy! Big bad Guzma."