Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts

"ZENO!" I heard Hau yell, but I wasn't able to respond as a large, metallic Ultra Beast descended towards me, cannons blazing

"Yeah," I said, firing two arrows in each cannon. "How 'bout no."

The resulting explosion nearly sent me flying backwards, but I managed to hold my ground.

As the shock wave faded away, a much, much larger version of the Ultra Beast was bearing down on Iki Town.

"Arcanine," I said, nocking another fiery arrow. "Flame Wheel!"

Arcanine sped forwards and I yelled to Decidueye, "Phantom Force him above it!"

Decidueye got over his shocked look and made a portal of darkness appear in front of Arcanine. He disappeared inside it and began to spin down towards the Ultra Beast from above.

I aimed towards Arcanine and fired. "INCINERAZING ARROW!"

The arrow hit Arcanine and he was engulfed in a massive circling vortex of fire. He slammed into the Ultra Beast and it careened to the side and crashed through Mahina Trail.

Arcanine bounded off the fallen enemy and came to my side. From what I could tell, the rest of the Ultra Beasts were hesitating.

"C'mon!" I roared, throwing my arms out wide. "Come and get me!"

After a moment, they flew off into the darkness.

"Now that's how-" I fell to one knee, the fire bow disappearing from my hand. "Okay, maybe I used a bit too much energy."

I then collapsed and the last thing I heard was someone yelling my name.

...

I opened my eyes, but immediately closed them. "Ugh, bright. Too bright. Am I dead again? Because that would be really disappointing."

I heard a laugh. "No Zeno, you're fine."

I slowly opened my eyes to see Acerola standing above me.

"Hey," I groaned, rubbing my aching head. "What are you doing here?"

Acerola smiled. "Helping the Ultra Beast Resistance Squad. And I'm the nurse."

"Zeno," I heard someone say softly and I turned my head to see Alex sitting in a chair near the bed I was laying in.

I sat up. "Alex."

Acerola stepped out of the room. "I'll be out here."

She closed the door to what I recognized as a bedroom now. The wooden walls were bare except for the window above the bed. The only furniture in here was the bed and the chair.

Alex stood and made her way to me as if in a daze. "It's... It's really you? You're... You're alive?"

I reached out and gently touched her hand. "Yes, Alex. I'm alive."