Chapter 60: Before the Battles

I rested my head on the back of the couch inside the Pokemon Center

I rested my head on the back of the couch inside the Pokemon Center. This center was undoubtedly one of the biggest in the region despite being so far up, but that was most likely due to it being the PMC for the Pokemon League. A hotel was being constructed within the mountain itself, but the project would take another year to finish. In the meantime, trainers competing in the tournament stayed inside the PMC, while spectators either stayed in Tapu Village, where an express elevator took them all the way up, or they camped out on the snowy mountain.

I looked around. Only a couple trainers were lounging about in the lobby and one in particular was an eyesore with that afro. I turned my gaze to the TV mounted above the main desk where Nurse Joy stood. The only thing on was about the Pokemon League, which since it was a huge deal, it made sense for it to be the only thing on.

The newsman on screen was talking to the camera, the main stadium in the background. "The day before Alola's first Pokemon League is due to start and people from around Alola are already flocking to Tapu Village. Even foreigners have already shown up, excited to see this once in a lifetime event. We also heard reports that Mr. Goodshow himself is to make an appearance..."

The doors to the PMC buzzed open and the roar of the snow outside got my attention. I looked and saw Hau, Robert, and Gladion walking through, dusting snow off.

I rose to meet them. "Took you long enough. I've been here for hours."

Hau shivered. "Would've been here sooner, but who knew the mountain would be so big and confusing."

Gladion coughed. "Hau got us lost for a bit. The girls here yet?"

I shook my head. "No, weren't they with you?"

Robert smirked. "They were, until Alex decided she had enough with Hau's "perfect sense of direction" and went off with Lillie."

"Hey," Hau said pointedly. "I found the way here."

"After taking the scenic route," Gladion said and held up a white Z-crystal. "He led us way offtrack we found an abandoned trial site. This thing was in a large cube of ice, but I guess it was worth it."

"See," Hau said. "You should be thanking me for thanking me, not griping about how long it took."

"Yeah," Alex said, walking into the center with Lillie in tow. "Not gonna happen."

She smiled when she saw me. "Sorry we're late. Would've been sooner if it wasn't for a certain imcompetent person."

She smacked Hau on the head and he groaned. "Oh come on, lay off will ya?"

He then perked up. "By the way, where do we sign up for the tournament?"

I jerked a thumb at Nurse Joy. "Better hurry. Last I checked there were only fourteen available spots."

Hau's eyes widened in alarm. "NO WAY!" 

He ran at full speed towards Nurse Joy who looked a bit overwhelmed when Hau started talking rapid fire.