Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau

I opened my eyes

I opened my eyes. Today was the day. The day where I could see how far I've come. I slipped out of the bed and dressed. I looked over at Hau's bed. He was already gone and the sheets nicely fixed. One way or another today was where we moved on.

"I already know where I'm going," I thought. "Whether I win or lose, I'm leaving. I need to."

I sighed as I swung my trench coat on. I checked my pokeballs. Seven in total. I grabbed my Master Ball, and after rolling it in my hand for a couple seconds, I tucked it farther in the back. I wouldn't use her. Not against Hau. I would battle him without the use of a super powerful Pokemon. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't fight him at full strength. Hau deserves that much.

I gathered my stuff and left, running into Alex on my way out. 

She smiled. "You've made it."

I gave a half smile. "Was there ever any doubt?"

She just hugged me. "Good luck Zeno."

She pulled away, hands on my shoulders. "Just promise me one thing. Don't leave straight after. Stay for another day or two."

I covered her right hand with my own. "Sure. I can do that much at least."

She sighed in relief. "Good. Now, please battle at your best out there."

I grinned. "Always."

...

Hau stood out in the snow, letting the cold chill him to the bones. When had he made it this far. It wasn't so long ago where he was eagerly anticipating becoming a Pokemon trainer and an Island Challenger. It wasn't so long ago where he had ran into Zeno, quite literally. 

He breathed in. "Thank you, Zeno. For this journey, for being my friend. For pushing me beyond my limits, to a height I never knew I could reach. Now, let me repay you by fighting at my absolute strongest."

"Hau."

He turned around to see Lillie there, smiling. "Good luck Hau."

Hau smiled and hugged her. "Coming from you, I know I can win this now."

"Wha- bu-" Lillie spluttered, her face red, but she just hugged Hau tighter. "You can win this. I know you can."

Hau sighed in relief. "I needed to hear that."

He pulled away and grinned. "Let's go. I'm ready to become Alola's first ever Pokemon Champion!"

...

The crowd roared as the two trainers entered the stadium. Kukui rose where he sat with Mr. Goodshow with a microphone.

"Here we are Alola!" Kukui said. "We have made it to the Final Round of the Pokemon League. On one end, we have Hau from our very own Melemele Island! He's lived in the shadow of his grandfather his whole life, but now he's risen far above that! He's grown much on his journey, his being here a testimony to that!"