Chapter 30: The Gym

I stuffed the flyer into a pocket in my trench coat as Rotom's screen showed a map of Malie City

I stuffed the flyer into a pocket in my trench coat as Rotom's screen showed a map of Malie City. Highlighted with a red line showed the path to the Gym.

Rotom sped off and I ran after him, yelling back to my friends. "Come on!"

They ran after us and after a couple minutes, we arrived. The Johto look about it and the Gym logo felt so nostalgic. Lillie was also there, waiting by the doors, Nebby's eyes peeking out of the bag.

She smiled when she saw us. "I had a feeling you guys would end up here."

Robert grinned. "How could we not? It's a Pokémon Gym in Alola."

Hau sighed. "I don't remember why Pokémon Gyms are so important. Mind explaining?"

Alex explained. "In the regions other than Alola, we compete in the Pokémon League. We go across the region, defeating 8 Pokémon Gyms and collecting their badges. Once we gather all 8, we can compete in the yearly Pokémon tournament to see who the strongest trainer is."

Hau nodded thoughtfully. "I remember now. I always preferred Alola's Island Challenge, though I guess a Pokémon League based off that here in Alola wouldn't be that bad."

I shrugged. "There's still hope. Anyway, I have a Gym battle to do."

I pushed open the doors wide and I could see the resemblance between this Gym and a certain Electric Gym in Kanto.

I grinned. "A Kantonian Gym in Alola."

Alex and Robert stood on either side of me with Hau and Lillie behind us.

Like a typical Gym, a huge battlefield occupied most of the Gym with the stands filled with people. They were watching a battle at the moment between an Alolan Ace Trainer and-

"Lt. Surge," I breathed.

"No freaking way," Robert said as the five of us went to take our seats in the stands.

Lt. Surge wore his usual heavy duty boots, camo military pants, and a green tank top with his dog tags hanging from his neck. He also wore his sunglasses and had his signature Pokémon out, Raichu.

"Raichu, use Thunder!" He ordered and Raichu unleashed a huge thunderbolt that struck the Ace Trainer's Fearow.

She returned her Fearow, looking happy that she fought Lt. Surge.

He grinned at the audience and put his hands behind his back. It looked like he was about to give everyone a military briefing.

"Alright Alolans," he boomed. "Me and my Raichu here are looking for a challenge while on vacation! Who's willing to take me and my Electric types on!"

The crowd cheered and I stood. "I'll take you on!"

He smirked and held up a badge. "Bring it on kid. Let's see if you're worthy enough to pin this badge to that trench coat of yours."