Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain

I breathed in the cold air of Mount Lanakila

I breathed in the cold air of Mount Lanakila. I turned my gaze skywards seeing man-made structures far up the mountain.

"Four stadiums cousin," Kukui had said when I had gotten back to Seafolk Village, holding up four fingers to me. "Each one is designed based off a Tapu, though the design's are going to need remodeling."

He had shoved his hands into his coat pockets. "Then we have the fifth stadium. That's where the final battles will be held. Seven rounds in total. The last four will be a battle of six vs six Pokemon."

He turned to face the ocean. "Zeno, I've watched you since the very beginning. I want you to know I'm proud of you. Go, to Mount Lanakila on Ula'ula. You're friends will finish their battles with Hapu in the meantime."

I breathed out, watching my frosted breath float away. This was it. The final stretch.

I took a step forwards, then another. I reached the platform at the base of the mountain and pressed the button in the middle. A gate rose to surround me as the platform rose into the sky. It stopped about a fourth of the way up where the rest of my journey would be through the mountain.

As I stepped into the frozen cave, I reflected back on my journey. I had made it so far, it was kinda unbelievable. I remembered landing in Alola with only Growlithe by my side.

I took out Arcanine's pokeball and let him out, his warmth keeping away the cold. "Come on buddy. Let's finish this, together."

Side-by-side, we walked through the mountain, slowly climbing our way up.

I could remember running into Hau, literally. 

"Hah," I smirked to myself. "Who knew at that moment we would go through so much together."

I remembered picking Rowlet as my starter and having my first Pokemon battle in Alola with Hau and his Popplio. I saw Lillie there, watching our battle, worried about their well-being.

I saw Alex, coming towards me, demanding a battle. Who knew we would have grown so close even so soon after Willow's death. I remembered being saved by Tapu Koko as I protected Nebby. 

I looked at my black Z-ring, something usually meant for Kahunas only. A gift from the Tapus. Then came the festival, where Hau and I faced off and when Growlithe and I had pulled off a victory, we were both chosen to become Island Challengers. 

I could see the battle between Alex and Robert at the Trainer's school, two rivals that I had to surpass, but also two friends I would hold dear to me.

I didn't know how it happened, but I ended up travelling with Hau, Lillie, Alex, and Robert. I'm glad things turned out that way though.

We journeyed together to our first Trial and from there our Grand Trial with Kahuna Hala. By that time I had befriended Rockruff by saving him from Team Radiance. I saw Hau fall into the waves where I had to rescue him. I could feel the presence of the Haunting, ready to rip us all apart. I had rescued Magikarp from Team Radiance as well, who lost his golden scales in the process.

I could feel the rush as I battled Robert and as Hau and Alex faced off. I remembered being at odds with Gladion when we first met and I could feel the sense of dread when I first heard the Prophecy. I saw the flames of Volcarona when I fought her in my trials atop Wela Volcano. I had caught the Kabuto that had clung to me, somehow sensing something in me that I couldn't.

I clutched my heart as I felt the pain of losing Alex and Lillie down beneath the Tapu's ruins. I heard the tale of Alola and fought off both Team Skull and Team Radiance to protect Konikoni. We had then journeyed to Aether without Lillie and Gladion and witnessed the coming of an Ultra Beast. 

I remembered the battle between Lt. Surge and getting arrested straight after. I had to live through my past crimes that night before being tricked into believing my friends were going to be poisoned. I nearly died that night, but my deal with the Shadow made me stronger and I was able to save my friends, but at the cost of many deaths. 

I had tried to kill myself by falling off the mountain to kill the Shadow, but Arceus had stopped me and purged the Shadow from my mind. I remembered facing down Guzma and reuniting with my friends, who didn't forsake me even after seeing the darkness within my soul.

I could feel the joy of finding out Arcanine's mother was alive and bringing Mimi along my journey.

I clenched a fist as I felt the immense pain of reliving Willow's death all over again. I had battled my way through Po Town to rescue Lillie only to find out her mother had taken her captive. We had stormed Aether Foundation where I faced off against the Queen herself. I had taken in Mahina and helped her through her trust issues.

I could still feel the taste of Alex's lips on mine as we shared our feelings on Exeggutor Island. We had then summoned Lunala and faced off one last time against Lusamine. After returning the light back to that foreign world, we were taken down by Team Radiance and I was captured by Cassandra and brought to Ark City. 

I felt the determination coursing through my body as I took her down, only for the Shadow to rise in the form of Shadow Ultra Necrozma. I remembered overcoming my darkness and truly embracing my role as the Hero Born of Darkness. I sacrificed myself to destroy the Shadow and save Alola. However, Alola was still in danger and the gods of Old resurrected me to help prevent the fall of the region. 

 I stopped at the mouth of the cave exit, looking at the bright light seeping through. "We've come so far Arcanine. Who knew we would end up meeting each other all the way back in that cave in Kanto and end up becoming the best of partners."

Arcanine licked me and I laughed while rubbing his furry head. "Yeah, I know. Time for sentiments for later."

I took a deep breath. "Let's do this buddy. Together, till the very end."

And we took the last steps of our journey into the light.

A little throwback to Zeno's journey through Alola. Now it's time for the fun to begin. Toodles

 Toodles