Chapter 38: The One He Loved

By the time we finally found our way out of Haina Desert, it was night

By the time we finally found our way out of Haina Desert, it was night. I glanced at the pokeball in my hand and smiled. I had finally caught Mimikyu officially ten minutes prior.

My thoughts flashed to Arcanine. The mother to my partner, Growlithe. She was a captive of the Night Hunters, but now she was the protector of the Oasis.

I heard a whine and looked down. Growlithe had his front paws on my leg as he stared at me, as if he knew I was thinking about his mother.

I bet down and rubbed his head. "we'll see her again buddy. I promise."

He barked and raced ahead as I slowly walked with my friends.

"Where are we heading now?" Robert asked Hau.

He grinned. "Back to Tapu Village. If we head down to the beach, we'll have access to the Ghost Trial. I don't know who the Trial Captain is, but I heard that whoever they are is pretty mysterious."

I nodded. "sounds neat. I wonder what the Totem will be."

"Ghost Trial," Alex mused. "But first we should-"

She stopped. Not stopped talking or stopped moving, her entire body froze. And so did Hau, Lillie, Gladion, Robert, and even Growlithe. It looked lie time had stopped.

I looked around. We were at the entrance to Tapu Village and anything I saw wasn't moving.

"Okay," I said to myself. "This isn't freaky at all."

I looked towards the PMC and saw a small shadowy figure by the doors. It was about the size of a Pikachu and shadowy darkness seeped off of it.

Looking around one more time, I started walking towards whatever that thing was.

"I swear," I said, grimacing. "If that's the Shadow in minute miniature..."

I let the sentence trail off as I neared it. It had reddish yellowish eyes that made it look almost innocent, but it had the look of a fighter despite it looking ghostly.

"What are you?" I whispered.

It narrowed its eyes. "I am merely a shadow human."

Its deep, gruff voice surprised me at he melted into a pool of shadows. He zigzagged down the street. Making a quick decision, I ran after him.

"He is definitely not the Shadow," I thought. "But if he's not the Shadow, who is he?"

As I ran, the scenery around me changed. I was no longer in Tapu Village, but a beach. I stopped to take in my surroundings.

The sand I stood upon was ash-black and the ocean to my left was almost completely black. To my right were a small cluster of wilting palm trees. Patches of dark grass were dotted around the trees and dark gray clouds covered the sky.