Chapter 20: New Revelations

The following morning, I was myself again

The following morning, I was myself again. All I hoped was that the Prophecy was never mentioned again. I could just leave Alola, but I couldn't bring myself to abandon my friends.

Once in the PMC's lobby, Hau pointed to a sign posted on the wall. "We need to go to that guys."

The sign read, "Come down to Route 8 on Akala Island and experience the past in the present. Come to: Fossil Paradise!"

Hau was bouncing up and down. "Can we go!? Please!?"

I laughed. "Why not? It's on the way to the next trial site, right Rotom?"

Rotom saluted me. "Righty-O!"

Alex was tapping her chin. "I don't think we should go."

We all looked at her. "Why?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Have you guys not seen Jurassic Pokémon?"

We continued looking at her, confusion written on our faces.

Alex rubbed her temples. "Never mind. I'll go, but if I get eaten by a fossil, I'm killing all of you. Except for Lillie, she's innocent."

Timeskip

We walked past Wela Volcano Park and I saw the aftermath of the destruction. Mostly the Volcano itself was affected, but parts of the surrounding forest were a bit scorched. There were a couple holes in the Volcano and smoke poured out of some of them.

We eventually came to a tunnel and ignoring the creepiness inside, we reached Route 8 on the other side.

Robert was busy talking to Rotom about some Pokémon while Hau and Lillie were chatting with Nebby inconspicuously following behind them. I felt something tap my shoulder and I turned around to see Alex. She motioned for me to follow her.

"Can I talk with you for a second?" She asked when we were out of earshot from our friends.

I shrugged. "Sure."

"What did Volcarona say to you?" She asked. "And don't tell me to drop it. I won't take that for an answer."

I turned my head away. "It doesn't matter."

She gripped my shoulders. "Yes it does Zeno."

I whipped my head to face hers, my patience waning. "When I tell you to drop it, you drop it!"

Alex smirked. "Now we're getting somewhere."

Maybe it was her smirk, or maybe it's what she said, but whatever it was, it sent me over the edge. "You want to know then!? Fine! She told me that the future holds darkness and trials that I may not survive! How do you think I would feel about that, huh!? Heck, even the Prophecy says I'll die!"

Alex looked startled. "That's not what it-"

I cut her off. "And through parting of life shall the darkness cease. The Prophecy is about me! The supposed Hero Born of Darkness! But you know what!? I don't want to be a hero! I want nothing to do with the Prophecy! I came to Alola to be free from the darkness of my past, not to live more of it. You have no idea what it's like to grow up in so much darkness only to experience more of it once you think you've finally gotten away from it!"