Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending

"CONGRATULATIONS HAU!"

Hau stood there in the entrance to Iki Town, surprised, but grinning. "Ah guys, you shouldn't have."

Everyone in the village had gathered there to celebrate that one of their own had made it to the top of the region. Lillie stood in the center, holding a huge white frosted cake. And the festival kicked off. The Kahunas and the Trial Captains showed up to congratulate Hau as well, but at the moment they were showing off their Z-moves. 

Hau was then showing off his Pokemon to all the little kids, doing moves to awe them. After that, people started dancing. Hau gladly partnered up with Lillie and they danced on the wooden platform, above everyone's heads. I saw Robert dancing with Olivia, which I just smiled at.

I found Alex and held out my hand. "You want to dance."

She smirked and took it. "What do you think?"

I smiled and pulled her in close and we circled our way into the crowd of dancing people. We all danced until the moon was well above us, the stars twinkling beside it. I looked above Alex's head just in time to see a star fall down and it disappeared behind the trees of Mahalo Trail.

I smiled. Alex gave me a look. "What's with the look?"

I looked back at her. "I just had a great idea."

I took her hand and led her towards the trail. We walked through the forest, the chirping of night Pokemon soothing. Soon, we made it to the bridge connecting Mahalo Trail to the Ruins of Conflict. We laid on the ground near the bridge where there were no trees to block the starry sky.

I breathed deeply. "It feels good to do this."

"Yeah," Alex sighed, holding my hand in hers. 

We couldn't hear the festival sounds in the distance, so it was just us. We allowed ourselves several minutes of silence, just simply soaking in each other's presence. 

I rose. "We should be heading back. They might be missing us." 

Alex nodded and I helped her up. As we were about to enter the forest, I looked back at the Ruins of Conflict. For a moment, I swear I could see the gods of Old standing there.

A soft breeze filtered by, carrying with it words. "Go, Hero Born of Darkness. Your future awaits."

I smiled and squeezed Alex's hand, then we headed back to Iki Town. Once we got there, people were already beginning to head back into their houses. Hau and Lillie were leaning on each other as they rested against a tree. Robert was conked out on his Snorlax's stomach near the entrance to Iki Town.

I smiled sadly. I was going to miss this. 

...

We stood on the docks the next day, ready to board the boat.