Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance

Hau, Lillie, and I walked up Route 1 together

Hau, Lillie, and I walked up Route 1 together. Kukui had gone ahead to make sure Hala was ready. I smiled, knowing that after this battle, I was one step closer to being stronger.

We made it to Iki Town in no time and we saw Hala standing next to Kukui. They were where the wooden platform used to be.

Kukui waved us over. "Glad you three could make it."

Lillie went to stand next to Kukui and let Nebby out of the bag. "Now don't misbehave or it's back in the bag for you."

"Pew."

Hala lumbered over to us. "Which one of you wishes to battle me first?"

Hau and I looked at each other. We both knew who had the right to go first.

"Hau," I answered.

Hala nodded and walked near the entrance to Mahalo Trail. I then noticed a battlefield carved into the dirt. Hala stood on one side and Hau went to stand opposite his grandfather. Kukui, Lillie, and I walked away from the field to sit on a bench to watch the battle unfold.

Hala grabbed a pokeball. "I won't be going easy on you, my grandson! So prepare for Melemele's Grand Trial!"

He released a Makuhita and Rotom flew out of my backpack. "Makuhita, the Guts Pokemon. It practices its slaps by repeatedly slapping tree trunks. It has been known to slap an Exeggutor and get flung away."

Hau let out Pichu. "Let's not waste a move Pichu. Thundershock!"

"Fake Out." Hala said calmly.

Makuhita rushed forwards and slapped Pichu, causing him to flinch.

"Sweet Kiss!" Hau commanded and Pichu gave Makuhita a kiss.

Makuhita because to shake his head and started punching the air.

Hau yelled, "Thundershock!" just as Hala shouted, "Sand Attack!"

Makuhita managed to punch the ground, causing sand to fly up and absorb the Thundershock.

"Arm Thrust Makuhita!"

Makuhita's fists glowed and he started punching, but then tripped and fell on his face.

"Thundershock!"

Pichu landed the bolt of electricity on Makuhita, who was knocked onto his back. Makuhita then jumped back on his feet, no longer confused.

"Arm Thrust!" Hala bellowed.

Makuhita rushed forwards, his fists glowing.

"Dodge Pichu!" Hau yelled, but to no avail.

Pichu was hit repeatedly by Makuhita's fists and was then picked up.

"Throw him to the ground and use Sand Attack!" Hala commanded.