Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves

Hau and I made it to Route 2 within a half hour

Hau and I made it to Route 2 within a half hour. We slowed to save our energy while Hau pulled two bottles of water out of his pack. He tossed one to me and I snatched it out of the air.

"Thanks." I said.

"No prob."

As we neared the motel, I asked, "Have you Mantine Surfed before?"

Hau nodded. "Whenever I could. I never rode out to Akala though because Hala never wanted me too."

He chugged some water. "Out near the border of the surfing zone, there's this big wave. And I mean big."

He pumped a fist in front of him. "I want to ride it."

I nodded. "Then let's do it. Mind you, I never surfed before."

He waved his hand dismissaly. "Don't sweat. I'll show you the ropes."

We reached the motel and went down the path that led to the beach. I saw, floating on the water's edge, was a Mantine with a red board on it.

Hau got out some money and ran to a guy in shorts. He gave him some of the money and the guy took it. He then whistled and another Mantine burst out of the waves.

A Pelipper then flew down from somewhere, carrying a big bag. Hau motioned for me to follow him. We neared a couple of outdoor changing rooms and he handed me some weird clothes.

"Here," he said. "These are the clothes you'll need to wear for the surfing. Put them on and give your clothes and backpack to the Pelipper."

I nodded and got changed in the changing room. Once out I went to the Pelipper and dumped my clothes and backpack into it. Hau did the same and we went up to the two Mantines. Hau got on a Mantine and clipped himself to the red board.

I got on the other Mantine's red board and latched my feet to it. Hau looked over at me and gave a thumbs up. I nodded. Hau then leaned forwards and his Mantine surged forwards. I did the same and I rode after him.

After a minute of fast cruising, waves began to appear.

Hau shouted from ahead of me. "Just follow my lead!"

He leaned sideways and his Mantine rode up the waves. I followed suit and then we were both going up and down the waves. Finally, Hau and his Mantine flew off the wave and began turning in the air. He landed back on the wave and grinned at me.

I nodded and said to Mantine, "Let's see what we can do Mantine."

I urged Mantine up the wave and we flew off the edge. I twisted and turned, doing tricks with the Kite Pokemon. We landed back on the wave and I saw Hau slow so I could catch up.

When we were side-by-side, he said, "There are three main areas for Mantine Surfing. Where we are is the Beginner's Zone. Now, if we were to jump over those waves here, we would end up in the Rock Zone."