Chapter 31: His Dark Past

I sat in a cold, unforgiving metal chair, my hands tied to the back of it

I sat in a cold, unforgiving metal chair, my hands tied to the back of it. I was in a classical interrogation room, complete with a metal table with a file on it and an police officer in the chair opposite. There was even a blacked out window that I had a feeling my friends were behind. My trench coat, Pokémon, and my backpack had all been taken as evidence.

I looked at Nanu. "What makes you think I'm part of Team Rocket?"

He tapped the files. "I have a contact in Kanto. He's looking into Team Rocket and found some very interesting information on you."

He looked at me. "You're a murderer Zeno and a young one at that. What I can't figure out is why you're part of Team Rocket. Why you do what you do."

I didn't say anything as he folded his hands together on the table. "Maybe you don't want to tell me Zeno, but your friends," he gestured towards the blacked out window. "They deserve nothing less than the truth. You're their friend or so I've heard. For all we know you're just using them."

I stared at the unopened files. "Is this really the time to reveal my past? After hiding it from everyone for so long?"

I gripped my hands tighter. "No! I can't. I can't tell them who I was in my past. It would ruin our friendship."

I glanced at the window, imagining my friends behind it, not knowing if I was who I said I was. "Was I ever really their friend? Should I have told them?"

Nanu was right. I owed them nothing short of the truth, no matter what happens afterwards. I looked at Nanu, hating him for what I had to do.

I tightened my fists. "You're right Nanu about one thing. I did murder people, but I'm no longer part of Team Rocket. You don't know the full story."

He leaned over the table. "Do tell Zeno."

I glared at him. "I grew up in Team Rocket. My whole life was lived in its darkness and cruelty. My father is Giovanni for crying out loud."

Nanu's eyes widened. Whatever he was expecting, this wasn't it.

I continued. "I never made him proud, so I sought his approval. I became his personal assassin and killed whomever he wanted me to. I was young and that made me perfect for my job."

I slacked my hands. "I know what I did with Team Rocket was wrong. When I finally realized that, it was too late. I only barely get out of there with my life."

Memories were starting to resurface. If I wasn't careful...

"Maybe you shouldn't have lived," Nanu said. "Not after all you've done."

I nodded weakly, trying to suppress my memories. "Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did so I could try to make amends for what I've done. I tried to live a new life. A fresh start."

Nanu sat back in his chair. "For the records Zeno, I think it would be best to tell us a story from your past."

My memories broke to the surface and as my mouth spoke my past, I experienced it.