Chapter 33: Shooting Stars

I stumbled forwards, unable to see out of my left eye

I stumbled forwards, unable to see out of my left eye. I found a river and sank to my knees as I stared at my reflection. My right eye was brown, but my left... My left eye was covered in shadows.

"No," I muttered. "Nonononono."

I stared at the rising Moon above. "What has happened to me!?"

My head erupted into pain, like something was trying to break out of it.

"NO!"

My mouth spoke the word, but not in my tone of voice.

"I WILL BE FREE!"

"NO!" I shouted in my own voice. "I WON'T LET YOU!"

"You don't have a choice Zeno."

I turned to see the Shadow standing there, but his form flickered, like he was using a lot of energy just to speak to me face-to-face.

I tried to punch him, but my fist went right through him. "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

He laughed. "You made the deal Zeno. Your mind will soon be mine to control."

He disappeared, leaving me alone in the forest. I looked at my pokeballs. I could use the company, but I couldn't trust myself around them. Not in the state I was currently in.

I felt my head. The Shadow would break free, no doubt about that.

I looked at the river. "What if I drowned myself in there?"

I shook away the thought. "The Shadow could probably revive my body. Even if I shot myself, he'd probably be able to heal that."

I looked to my left, towards Mount Hokulani. It was the only option I had left. To make sure the Shadow never got free, to make sure my friends stayed safe, I had to put my body into a state beyond to where it could possibly be fixed. If I jumped from a high point on Hokulani, my body would be all over the place, with the Shadow trapped inside of it, hopefully.

It was the best I could think of as I ran towards the mountain. I didn't try and talk myself out of this. I knew it was the only way to protect my friends and Alola from the Shadow.

By the time I reached Route 10, it was almost midday. Near Malie City in the distance, I saw an old woman playing with her Stuffuls. Ahead of me, I could see a road going up Mount Hokulani.

As I walked towards it, I kept my head low. I didn't want to risk my eyes being seen. I barely noticed the two Skull boys by a bus, arguing with the driver as I started my ascent up the mountain.

I did not know how long I walked for. All I remembered was trying to take one step at a time. My body didn't feel right. I started to feel like I was shrinking, but I wasn't, at least not physically.

"The Shadow," I thought. "He's trying to erase me from my own body! He's trying to take control of it before I can jump."

I continued onwards, up the mountain. My strength was failing me and I could barely move, so I know I wouldn't be able to make it all the way up. Where I was would have to do.