Chapter 42: A Test of Strength

As I ran across the field of red flowers, my mind raced

"I wasted so much time," I thought. "I can't even think about what's happening to Lillie at Aether."

As I continued to run, my thoughts flashed back to my past. To Jessie, James, and Meowth. I almost wasn't able to save them that day.

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. "I will save Lillie. No matter what."

Once I reached the beach, I was thinking of how to get back to the Aether House when I noticed Sharpedo.

I jumped on his back, thankful he didn't leave. "GO!"

And off we went, speeding across the water. We barely got to the beach before I jumped off, ignoring Grimsley and racing towards the Aether House.

I burst through the doors, spotting Nanu in the middle of the room, apparently waiting for me.

Hau sat in a chair, a bandage wrapped on top of his head. Alex and Robert leaned against the left wall near Hau, staring at the floor. And Gladion was in the corner, almost oozing darkness with the way he glared at nothing.

Everyone got to attention as soon as I entered and I had to take a breather. When I got air back in my lungs, I looked at everyone.

"Where's Lillie!?" Gladion demanded, stalking up to me.

Nanu held out an arm to stop him. "They took her didn't they? Aether."

I looked at him in surprise. "How'd you know?"

Nanu nodded as Gladion cursed. "I should've realized Lusamine would get Guzma to do her dirty work. I was so wrapped up in-"

Nanu put a hand on Emo Boy's shoulder, which seemed to calm him down. "We'll get her back son, don't worry."

Gladion clenched both fists. "It's not Lillie I'm so worried about now. It's Cosmog."

He looked at me, actual fear in his eyes. "Lusamine has Cosmog now. And once she adjusts her machines to Cosmog's unique signature, she can open as many Wormholes as she wants, unleashing who knows how many Ultra Beasts. We have to stop her."

"Agreed," I said, less worried about Lillie's condition, but still anxious. "We need to-"

Nanu cut me off. "Not yet. I already know what you kids plan on doing, but I can't allow you all to go unprepared."

He looked at me. "Your strength and cunning will only get you so far kid. My guess is that Aether will be full to the brim with people and Pokémon. You'll need to rely on your Pokémons' strength as well as your own."

He grabbed a Dusk Ball from his belt. "And it's my job as a Kahuna to test your strength and your Pokémons'. "

Ignoring the fact that Nanu was Ula'Ula's Kahuna, I said, "We don't have time for a battle!"