Ashes (Moxiety)

Story Squad - Moxiety Amino
Theme: Mythical Creatures

Mythical Creature AU
TW: Brief mentions of death

"I've been shaking,
I've been bending backwards till I'm broke.
Watching all these dreams go up in smoke

Let beauty come out of ashes..."

He was reaching the end. He knew it for sure.

He could tell by the way his movements were sluggish, how all his hope and confidence seemed to go down the drain in the blink of an eye. He could see the concern in Virgil's eyes as he plopped down beside him in bed, exhausted by even a simple day.

25 Years. 288 months if you counted it that way. He's made it this long in his new life. And soon the reset button would be hit, and he'd go through the familiar cycle. He'd be born again, and he'd die again. Over and over in a tedious life cycle he could never escape.

That night, when he entered the bedroom he shared with his boyfriend of many years, Virgil, Patton could barely stand. He had no energy, no will to hardly do anything. He once again plopped beside Virgil, allowing him to pull the covers over his ice cold body.

Years ago, he had warned Virgil about falling in love with him, about what would eventually happen. However, the kind, sweet, and anxious man who was always right by his side refused to leave. He promised he'd love him, to the very end. And it seemed his promise was reaching its ultimatum.

Feeling a warm hand rest over his freezing cold one made Patton relax and sigh at the sensations. He was in pain. Everything ached, but mostly his heart. He stared at his boyfriend with a loving but pained expression. "Virge...it—it's happening. I'm so scared..."

Virgil gripped Patton's hand, unable to stop the tears that now streamed down his cheeks. He nodded, "I know, Pat, I know...it'll all be okay..."

Patton slowly nodded. He knew this feeling, these aches and pains, all too well. He was getting closer. This was the end.

"I love you, Patton. I just...you need to hear that before...before...y'know. I love everything about you, and I'm...I'm really going to miss you..." Virgil kissed Patton's forehead softly and said once more, "I love you..."

"I love you, too, Virgil..."

Patton's head rolled back some, as did his eyes, which went to the ceiling. As Virgil let himself sob, the Phoenix took his last breath. His cycle would continue on from here. It seemed like his fire had just died out, leaving ashes, little memories and broken dreams in its wake.

And perhaps, one day after he was reborn, Patton and Virgil would meet again. Maybe...in another day, in another life.

*•*•*•*•*

This is short, yes, but I've been meaning to do something with this song, and I think I finally found a good time to use it.

I hope you all enjoyed this story, and I love you all!