On The Borderline (Moxiety/Logince)

*
"I'm standing on the borderline
What should I bring or leave behind
From who I was
For who I'm gonna be?"

*

"This is so exciting, right, Virgil?"

Turning to his enthusiastic friend, Patton Steel, the anxious teen gave him a little smile, though it was forced.

To him, this was hardly exciting. He was extremely nervous, and not just because they would have to stand up in front of a huge crowd, the thought of which caused his palms to sweat and his heart to pound.

This...this was it. Graduation day. The day you're handed your diploma, and suddenly, you're not a high schooler anymore, at least, not exactly. This day...you're on the borderline between your adolescent life, and adulthood. To Virgil, it was scary, and incredibly intimidating.

The doors of the auditorium opened, and the people in front of him in line moved. Virgil seemed to float along with them, chewing his lip while his thoughts raced in his mind like race cars on a NASCAR track.

*
"I'm standing on the borderline
Between two states- I'm petrified
To push ahead,
or turn back homewardly..."

*

Virgil felt something soft brush his hand, and he looked down, seeing Patton's fingers slowly lacing with his own. His cheeks lit up with soft pink, and he made no move to retract his hand.

The two teens had been friends for practically forever. Thanks to alphabetical order, the two of them were almost always beside each other for school things, and here they were, at graduation, right beside each other once again.

It was their sophomore year when Virgil finally admitted to himself that he had feelings for Patton, something he had denied since seventh grade.

Since then, being around his bright best friend hardly ever failed to make his heart flutter, whether it be a soft, gentle touch, or a sweet smile and kind words...

He was so lost in his thoughts about Patton that his worry faded slightly, and he didn't even realize they were at their seats until he felt Patton gently tugging his hand, signaling for him to sit down as everyone else in their class slowly sunk down into their seats.

"You feeling better?" Patton whispered as their principal started speaking rather loudly on stage, his mouth right up to the microphone.

Nodding slightly, Virgil tried to ignore the fact that his fingers were still laced with Patton's, though he couldn't ignore that he enjoyed the feeling, and did find it a bit  calming.

Patton returned the nod, squeezing his friend's hand before looking up, back to the stage.

"...Parents, I'm sure most of you remember your own high school graduation. You probably remember just how jittery, and nervous you were. I know that even now, I still remember those feelings," the principal droned on. "Today is the day that these students, the same ones you've watched slowly grow up and mature, are released from high school. And they'll be faced with the real world. College, jobs, marriage, starting families...I know, it's a shocker, isn't it?" Taking a deep breath, it seemed like the speech was almost over. "And now, I believe I've prolonged the moment long enough. Row one, please rise and come to the stage so you may receive your diplomas..."

Virgil and Patton watched as their classmates slowly made their way to a side door, one that led to the backstage entrance. Patton stole a glance at Virgil, who was now looking down, completely silent. He couldn't help but stare at his friend, smiling slightly at the way his purple hair fell over his eyes, bangs so long they brushed the tip of his nose. Before he even realized what he was doing, Patton leaned forward slightly, brushing Virgil's hair back so he could see his face.