Little Star (Moxiety)

Father-Son Moxiety
TW: Some mentions of death and graves.

*

It was a beautiful day.

The sun was shining brightly, casting everything in a warm glow. Birds chirped and everywhere you looked, flowers were in full bloom, a sign that it was halfway through spring.

Ah yes, it was a nice day for Patton to visit his son.

The thirty-something father took his time as he walked down the sidewalk, waving slightly to passerby as he moved. In his hand, he held a plastic shopping bag.

Patton arrived at his destination: A black, wrought iron gate, the doors wide open to reveal a path going through a large, park-like area.

He walked through the threshold silently, following the paved path like Dorothy followed the Yellow Brick Road.

After a few minutes, he walked down a hill towards a large lake.

He was a few feet away from the water's edge when he finally stopped. His eyes trail down to an object set into the ground.

A shiny, black marble headstone.

Patton sat down on the upturned dirt in front of it, not minding that his tan pants would have stains on them later. This was his fourth visit, and like his prior ones, he always read the headstone. It said:

Virgil Sanders
December 19th, 2001—January 4th, 2018
Loving son and friend
Forever in our hearts

Patton sighed, and sat the bag he brought in front of himself, opening it and taking out the contents.

"Hi, Virge. It's Dad," the young father started. "I love you and miss you."

His visits always started with these lines, ever since the first time he came here.

"So, Logan and I got married two weeks ago," Patton said, glancing down at the silver wedding ring on his finger. He took an arrangement of white lilies, tied with a purple bow, out of the bag, along with a plastic vase with a long stick to put in the ground. He busied himself with putting the pointed stick in the ground as he continued to talk.

"The whole wedding was so beautiful, Virge! Oh, and I'm sorry, Logan really wanted to come, but he had to attend a meeting for work. He wanted me to tell you that he loves you as well." Once it was fully in the ground, Patton adjusted the plastic vase a bit, then reached into the bag once more. "Is it nice where you are? The weather is so pretty here today!"

He pulled out two little solar lights, then put those in the ground as well, on either side of the headstone. His bag was now empty, and he balled it up, putting it in his pocket.

"I'll have to leave soon, baby," Patton apologized. "But first . . ." His hand gently stroked the gravestone as he softly sang.

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky . . ."

Patton closed his eyes as he felt tears slowly slide down his face.

"Then the traveler in the dark,
Thanks you for your tiny spark,
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye,
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark,
Lights the traveler in the dark.
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star . . ."

Patton broke down, quietly sobbing, his head in his hands. After a few moments, the crying slowly came to a stop, and he wiped his red face, standing up and looking down at the stone. He smiled slightly, then blew a kiss.

"I love you, Virgil . . ." he said, then turned around, walking away from his son, his little star.

*
Okay, I think this is the saddest thing I've written. I had the idea and decided to go with it and oh my . . .

Enjoy, ~Kirs.