Saving A Stranger (Logicality)

Logicality

AU where they're not traits (and yes, they don't look the same)

Possible trigger warning: Allergic reaction

"Here ya go," Patton said with a grin, handing the customer their paper bag full of cookies. "Enjoy!"

The customer smiled in response, then walked out, just as another one walked into the bakery. Patton glanced up, finding someone about his age wandering up to the counter.

"Hello, sir," Patton said pleasantly. "How may I help you?"

"I've never been here before," the other responded, pushing up his glasses. "What do you recommend?"

Patton thought it was odd the way the other talked, so sophisticated, but he found it kind of cute. "Well, we have some free samples here." He pointed to a tray of cookies sitting on the counter. "They're different everyday."

The customer picked up one of the cookies, taking a small bite of it. Suddenly, it fell from his hand, and his face started to swell.

"Sir!" Patton said, rushing from behind the counter and to the man. His skin was developing rashes and hives.

"Was t—there chocolate in those?"

"Yes."

"I'm allergic." The man started wheezing, and Patton realized with a shock that his throat was swelling quickly.

"What can I do?" There was a crowd gathering around them, all wanting to see what caused the commotion.

"EpiPen. In p-pocket." For a moment, Patton hesitated. He wasn't one to violate someone, especially a stranger, but he knew he had to help this person. He put his hand in the man's pocket and felt around until he found the pen. He pulled the object out, and glanced at the stranger, ready to ask where to inject the pen, but the man was choking, not breathing.

"In his thigh!" someone shouted, and Patton glanced down, sticking him with the pen right where he was told. After a few tense minutes, the man's swelling started to go down, and Patton sighed in relief. The man started to breathe normally, and the crowd around them started to clap. Patton wasn't focused on them, though. Right now, this man was his top priority.

"Sir, are you alright?"

"I—yes. Thank you, er . . ."

"Patton. My name's Patton."

"Thank you, Patton."

"You're welcome, sir," he replied awkwardly. "May I ask, if you knew you were allergic to chocolate, why didn't you ask if there was any in the cookies?"

"I was working late last night, and didn't get much sleep. I wasn't thinking straight." (Y'know, 'cause he's not)

"Oh. Do you think you can stand?"

"Yes, though I may need some assistance." Patton helped the stranger to his feet, then let go of him when he seen that he could stand on his own.

"I think I should be going now. I need to get some rest."

Patton nodded, and the door chimed as the stranger walked out of the bakery.