The Last Unicorn (Prinxiety)

Written For The TSFA Newspaper
The Theme: Fantasy

AU (Roman is human, Virgil is not)

It was sometime after one in the morning, and the moon cast a soft glow over Gainesville, Florida.

Roman didn't even remember how he got here, in the middle of the woods on an overgrown trail. He was still wearing the clothes he'd put on before leaving for school the day before. The thin, white t-shirt and skinny jeans he had didn't exactly provide much warmth in the chilly air.

Just as he shivered, hugging himself tightly, he heard a twig snap, causing his head to turn in the direction the sound had came from.

"Hello?" Roman hesitantly called, mentally hitting himself afterwards for how stupid he was. His sleep-deprived mind thought it was a great decision to make his presence known in a relatively quiet and creepy forest.

Seconds later, the sound of more twigs snapping could be heard, along with the sound of hooves hitting the ground. Frozen in fear, as well as an odd curiosity, Roman stayed right where he was. He soon gasped when something stepped out of the shadowy depths in front of him. His eyes fell on the magnificent sight.

The brilliant white stallion stared at him with warm, thoughtful brown eyes, flecked with gold. Its whole body seemed to glow softly, like it was radiating the same light the moon did. The creature's mane and tale were dark purple, wavy and looking perfectly groomed. But the most eye-catching thing about this creature was what sat atop its head.

A glowing silver horn.

It felt like Roman was dreaming, and he pinched himself in the arm in hopes of waking up. He was shocked, however, when he realized this all seemed to be real. He slowly approached the unicorn, whose eyes followed him as he did so.

"I—I won't hurt you," Roman said, making eye contact with the creature, who nodded slightly in response. It seemed to understand him. It gently tilted its head down, allowing Roman access to the top of their mane. Carefully avoiding the pointy horn, Roman pet the unicorn, its mane silky soft, their nose feeling like velvet.

He couldn't believe any of this. Was he going out of his mind? He didn't even know where he was, or how he got here. Yet here he was, petting this magnificent animal, one he'd only ever heard about in books and television.

"Do you have a name?" He asked absentmindedly, not expecting an answer. However, he heard a soft, male voice answer him.

"Virgil."

Roman locked eyes with him again, nodding slightly and managing to stay calm despite him just responding. "My name is Roman...and I have to ask...am I going mad?"

Virgil made a sound that sounded like a cross between a neigh and a human chuckle. "No, you're perfectly sane..."

"That's exactly what a figment of my imagination would say..."

The unicorn made the sound again, amused with Roman's behavior. "True. But I'm definitely real..."

"Prove it."

Virgil gave him a look that was the equivalent of a human raising their eyebrow, but stood back, lifting his head and looking down at Roman. "Follow me." He turned, galloping down the trail. The fast pace forced Roman to sprint to keep up with him. By the time they reaches the edge of the forest, the road in view, Roman was panting heavily, but thankful that he knew exactly where they were.