Ch. 13 New Home

Magsimula sa umpisa

When she finally tore her eyes away from the trees, she saw V looking at her patiently. "I..." she started to say, "... I don't know what to do now... Clearly, I'm not going home... And I feel like I can't right now anyway."

"If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason that's keeping you here?" V finally asked the question. "You were desperate awhile ago to go home, but then your grandma told you not to. You said you had some unfinished business?"

"Yeah... something like that." Jennie was always insecure about talking about the black part of her life. It took her a year of many deep, late night conversations to test how much she could entrust to her boyfriend until she finally told him. And look where that got her.

"Is it something I can help you with?" V asked tentatively.

The way he was careful while trying to be comforting to her, the way he spoke, it just automatically made her snow leopard purr warmly, telling her human soul that the animal soul has approved. And frankly, Jennie really did want to trust him.

But her mind was afraid. She was reminded of all the uncertainties about her flashbacks, especially seeing the snow storm when she first looked into his eyes. She didn't want to tell V things that end up not being true. She didn't want to be a burden after everything he's done for her so far.

"I don't even know..." Jennie finally answered. "I don't even know how to help myself. It's all so unclear and confusing." After all the events, she finally felt the stress of all these flashbacks and wanted to tell someone at least why she was here in the first place. "You see, I don't remember the first 15 years of my life. My grandma isn't really my biological one, she found me in Korea and took me in to live with her in New Zealand. The reason why she wanted me to vacation here in the first place was to try to find something related to my roots, to figure out my past."

"That's why she wanted you to stay here," V said.

"Yeah. I get these random flashbacks of my past but it's all muddy and it raises questions more than answers. I just wander around and hope when my eyes see something that it triggers a flashback." She let out a heavy sigh and drew her knees into her chest in a hopeless manner. "But after all that's happened, I don't really know how to continue with myself." She hid her face into knees and let out a humorless laugh. "Sorry if I sound so depressing and emo."

V shook his head, "No, I get it, you're feeling aimless right now and it's not to your liking."

"More importantly... I don't have anywhere else to go..." Jennie felt bashful to ask this but she didn't really have a choice. She didn't have enough money to stay at a hotel or something, and she felt much safer with V. "U-Um..." She didn't know why she was so embarrassed to say this, "Suran-ssi told me that you guys take Shifters in until they find a way back into their normal lives in the outside world again. U-Uhh so..." She gave V a hopeful look in hopes that he would understand what she saying.

He did, and Jennie knew he did from the slight twitch of a smirk on his lips but he feigned a confused look. "Yeaaah?" He prompted her to continue.

She sighed and said in one quick breath, "C-Can I stay with you for a while?"

V was silent and Jennie didn't dare to look at him, instead, she hid behind her curtain of hair. But when the silence was getting too long that she got annoyed and further embarrassed with his lack of response, she looked up only to see his lips were pursed in an effort to hide a laugh.

But when she narrowed her eyes at him in a glare, he released a chuckle. He reached out to pat her head, "You're so cute when you're shy."

Jennie retreated from his hand and into her hair again. "Shut up," she whined. "I-I just didn't want you to think y-you had to keep b-babysitting me."