Eight

Riley's POV

Madison had layed out a map and was currently thinking of a way to try and get the walkers out and try to get them a safe distance away from our area. She ran a hand through her hair as she let out a deep sigh. She went to speak but she changed her mind.

"Do you guys have a truck and a cable? Like what tow trucks have?"

"Yeah. What are you thinking?" Madison asked standing up straight and crossing her arms.

"I'm thinking, someone drives the truck, we have a van of some sort connected to the truck. Maybe have another connected in case the one truck alone isn't strong enough, then we have someone securely locked to the top of the van and they gain the attention of the walkers. Get them in the van, and you get the rest. Sure, might take all day, maybe even all night but it's the only way I see us getting out of this alive. There's too many to take out by hand, and you should save the guns for when there's a bigger emergency than this."

"I don't know. It's a lot of work and what if the truck can't pull the van out? It's basically life or death and I'm not putting my people in that position. People have families here, they're making the best life they possibly could."

"It's a good idea, Mom. It's the only way we have."

I looked up and saw Nick leaning against the wall. I was quite surprised he agreed with me.

"You won't have to put your people at risk either...I'll go on the van." I said.

"No."

"Absolutely not."

"Not happening."

Madison, Ofelia and Strand spoke at the same time.

"Yes." I nodded my head. "If I'm staying, I gotta pull my weight around here and I'll do the hard stuff."

Madison shook her head, I could tell by her facial expression she was getting mad.

"We see how it goes. If the situation gets worse, we deal with it then and sure, you can go on the van but for now its a contained situation." Madison held her hand out. "Sound fair?"

I nodded my head and shook her hand. "Sure."

A few people let out a sigh of relief and I felt someone hug me from the side. I saw it was Alicia and I hugged her back.

"Hey, Riley."

I turned around to see Ofelia waiting for me by the door.

"Yeah?"

"Can you help me chop some wood?"

"Sure, bye Madison. See ya Alicia."

"Have fun Riley, and welcome. We're happy to have you."

"Not everyone." I heard Nick mumble and I'm not surprised by that.

I followed Ofelia out and she led me towards where the logs were and handed me an axe.

"This is fun, but it's hard work."

"How is it fun?" I asked laughing slightly.

"You can get out all of your anger. Fustration. It helps alot."

I nodded my head before swinging the axe and watching it hit the log, I thought about Rick's head. Bashing his skull in for killing my Dad. I felt the anger surge through me and before I knew it, I was hitting the wood at a fast pace, angry tears started streaming down my face.

"Woah, Riley." Strand said quickly grabbing my arms and spinning me around, removing the axe from my hands too.

"I'll kill him."

"I know you will." Strand said pulling me in for a hug. I hugged him back tightly, I felt safe in his arms. He had strong arms like my Dad that made me feel safe. "If they try to hurt you, we'll protect. You have my word."