Chapter 34 // In Hell

◇« ✿ »◇

Seasons and years go right on by after Hayato lost his mother when he was 11 years old. He's now 22 workings in the rice paddies with his father. They don't talk as they used to but they understood each other and needed each other's presence.
When they do talk, it was brief.

Hayato no longer robbed anything either and barely hung out with his childhood friends. He's just picking up scraps from the allies. Now it's just the three of them.

The only one to brighten up the atmosphere is 15-year-old Hitomi who has grown up to be beautiful, just like her mother. Hayato vowed to his mother - now, their angel - that he'll take care of his sister if so he'll live in despair.

One afternoon, their father eats alone away from his children because if he sees them, he'll just start crying.

So it just Hayato and Hitomi.

They were silent between the two siblings, eating inside a tent.

"Why won't papa sit with us anymore?" Hitomi asks. I picked on food no longer hungry.

"I heard from Asashi that our father told his parents, he was sobbing because we remind him of mom.," I stated. Hitomi pushed her food away and sighed, "Have you talked with papa?"

I set my chopsticks down and glance at Hitomi who is looking at me, tilting her head. I felt a lump on my throat and it wasn't the food.

"No. It's not the same."  I get up and walk out of the tent, leaving her there. I don't want to talk about it because I'm just the same as my father and I don't want Hitomi to see that side of me.  I sit on the grass looking at the horizon, watching the sunset between two mountains.

And it truly hasn't been the same. We have migrated from place to place, city to city, country to country and we are still in poverty. There has been a couple of rumors of a goddess or demon that has been destroying cities or war going on. We have been really careful if we are running on a battlefield.

"Hayato?" Over my shoulder, I see Camellia. She has grown beautiful too, taking a seat next to me to watch the apricot sun. I look back at the view on quickly its turning dark.

"How you been?"

"Nothing much.." I responded. I heard her sigh. "Hayato..you haven't been yourself lately. I mean..all theses years"

"I didn't think I would have a personality.." I plainly said.

In the corner of my eyes, I see those sea-green eyes I still love, piercing at me. "Oh yes, you did! I don't know about now" I heard her mumble her last sentence. Now I return my gaze, arching an eyebrow wondering where she is going with this. She looks away and I see the blush in her cheeks.

I wonder why she's being so coy with me?

"Well, you were a shy and happy boy who blushed a lot and looked away. And who loves his little sister - I bet you still do now - and you'll protect her no matter what." She is not wrong. I was like that.

"And you called me cute back in the day..." her orbs look away. I furrowed my brows, mildly. "I did?"

"Yeah, you even told me that I reminded you of your mother - late mother." I can't believe she still remembers and hasn't mustered up the courage to tell me. Well ever since mom died, I guess there has been proper moment and that moment is now.

"Oh yeah? Now, you're beautiful."  I glance at the landscape, photographing it in my memory.

"WHAT?!"  she shouted, making me jump.  She is now red under the brink of twilight.