Chapter 42: A Test of Strength

Start from the beginning

Nanu looked at Gladion. "Do we?"

Gladion grimaced. "It'll most likely take a couple more hours for Kamake to set up all the equipment and tune the instruments."

I felt my right eye twitch as I glared at Nanu. "Fine. But it's going to be a one-on-one battle. No more than that."

Nanu gave a half smile. "Alright then. Meet me outside."

When he left the house, Acerola came out of the children's room. She saw me and offered a sad smile. "I heard what happened. A piece of advice, after you beat Nanu, convince him to go with you. You'll need his help."

My friends gathered around me as I nodded. "Will do. You're staying here I take it?"

She nodded. "I know Team Skull won't come back here, but I still feel like I need to stay and protect the children. I'm sorry I can't help anymore than I already have."

I shook my head. "No, stay. I think we can handle it."

As we turned to leave, Acerola said, "Oh, and Zeno?"

I looked back.

Acerola gave a real smile. "My uncle can come off a little harsh and commanding, but trust me. He gets the job done."

I nodded and left the house with my friends.

Nanu was leaning against the side of the house. "About time you got out here. I thought you wanted to leave as fast as possible."

My eyes hardened as I grabbed Growlithe's pokeball. "Let's just get this over with."

I walked a bit away, giving distance between Nanu and I. "And I got conditions Nanu."

He slid his hand over his face and sighed. "Fine, what is it?"

"If I win," I said, taking a battle stance. "You help us raid Aether."

Nanu groaned. "I should've known the Noise would tell you to force me to come along."

He sighed again. "Fine, might as well since Team Skull is my problem as well."

He gave his Dusk Ball a small toss and an Alolan Persian appeared. "You can have the first move."

I let out Growlithe. "Let's end this as fast as we can! Flame Wheel and Agility!"

Growlithe howled and spun into a flaming wheel. He sped for Persian and Nanu didn't say a thing. Growlithe crashed into Persian, but the Dark type just shook Growlithe away, seemingly taking no damage.

I gave a sharp intake of breath. "Not good."

"Persian," Nanu said calmly. "Foul Play."

Persian snarled and a black aura surrounded him. He lunged forwards, straight for Growlithe.

"Dodge and use Heat Wave!" I commanded.

Growlithe rolled out of the way of Persian and roared. A wave of heat rolled off Growlithe and cascaded into Persian. Unlike from our earlier attack, Persian flinched in pain, definitely taking damage.

"Special moves then," I murmured, then switched gears, realizing what I needed to do. "Flame Wheel!"

Growlithe slammed into Persian, but he just swiped Growlithe away with Slash.

"Huh," Nanu grunted. "I thought you were smart enough to figure what you needed to do by now."

I grinned, not answering him. "Flame Wheel and Agility!"

"Dark Pulse," Nanu said with a yawn.

Persian growled and shot a beam of darkness at Growlithe. Growlithe was sent tumbling and as he got up, I could see him breathing heavily.

"Just a little longer buddy," I whispered, then louder, "Agility!"

Nanu sighed. "And here I was thinking I'd need my Darkinium Z. Finish him with Foul Play Persian."

"Agility!" I shouted as Persian slammed into Growlithe.

Growlithe collapsed to the ground and struggled to stand.

I clenched a fist. There was a reason I didn't use this strategy unless I absolutely needed to, but I had no choice this time.

"NOW!" I yelled, fire burning in both of our eyes. "REVERSAL!"

Growlithe howled as an orange aura surrounded him. He ran forwards at incredible speeds and slammed into Persian. Persian was flung back and landed on his side, but he hadn't fainted yet.

Nanu was shocked. "Get up!"

"Finish him!" I shouted. "Reversal!"

And it was over. Growlithe trotted over to me and I hugged him. "Good job buddy. Next time, no Reversal strategies. All it really does is cause you more pain than it really needs to."

I smiled grimly. "Now we can go and get Lillie back."

Growlithe yipped and I returned him. Nanu walked up to me, tucking away his Dusk Ball.

He scratched the back of his gray head. "Good job kid. I didn't expect that strategy especially with the pain that's needed for it."

He smiled. "But I suppose you did what you had to do to finish this quickly. Here, you earned this."

He handed me a black Z-crystal. "The Darkinium Z. Use it wisely."

I latched it onto my Z-ring as Hau, Alex, Gladion, and Robert gathered around us.

Robert looked at the rising Moon. "It's dark out. We sure going into Aether is a good idea?"

Hau shook his head. "Good doesn't matter. It's all about saving Lillie and Nebby."

Gladion grunted in agreement. "And stopping Lusamine. She's gone mad."

Alex raised an eyebrow at Nanu. "You going to keep your promise Kahuna Nanu?"

He sighed. "Fine. But that means I'm in charge. No buts."

I nodded and looked southwards where I could see the ocean in the distance, stretching on endlessly. "We're going to save both of them, Lillie and Nebby, no matter what. Get ready guys, were storming Aether."

Guess who's back for a rare update!? Me! Well, high school hasn't killed me yet, but there's still time. Okay, on a more realistic side of things, high school is going great. I love my classes (especially the teacher who ate masking tape while on top of his desk) and I got good grades. Besides my school life, I hope you enjoyed this short chapter. Take notice that even this short of a chapter took me weeks to get out. The next chapter I plan to be even longer than this, probably around 3000 words, the usual, so don't expect that up for probably over a month or longer. Anyway, I got some shout-outs to preform. To @Cineplex3 @Purplex360
@MidnightCyanUmbreon and @Cryobeats for all following me and reading my story. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. Now, till next time my readers. Once more into the breach. Toodles

 Toodles