Chapter 20.

Mulai dari awal

The second day, I spent my time reading through my guide to Breeze Evans. After washing my face in the bathroom upstairs, I applied the foundation to hide my facial injuries. I hated seeing the reminders. Then, I went down stairs, reading through my old bills, credit card statements, making sure I had them memorized. Breeze enjoyed shopping, art restoration, and concerts. She was a 19 year old from Montana who had moved here to start fresh after attempting college. She had been an art major with a concentration in drawing. Breeze's family was very religious and when Breeze did not want to follow their beliefs, they said that she either had to listen or they would stop paying for college. Inevitably, she had left. As the sky outside darkened, I went down to the kitchen to take the casserole from the fridge. There was another knock on the door and the panic from yesterday rose, but I forced myself to fight it.

Hesitantly, I grab the pepper spray and open the door after the second knock. There was an older woman standing there with another casserole between two oven mitts. She was fat with a round face and grey hair which was pulled into a low bun. She smiles as she sees me, her teeth slightly crooked but still gleaming white. "Hi honey, I saw that you were moved in and I thought I'd welcome you with a casserole." She smiles, "I'm Christine Wilkins."

I put the pepper spray behind my back, the feeling of panic subsiding. "I'm A-Breeze," I say, almost giving my real name.

"I live down the street," She says, nodding behind her. "The house with the blue Christmas lights." I follow her gaze and look over her house. She continues, "I know you probably didn't eat everything from last night's but everyone should have a hot home cooked meal when they are new to town."

I nod, forcing a smile. "That's seriously very kind of you. You didn't have to do that for me!"

"You are a very beautiful young lady." Mrs. Wilkins says, bustling past me into the house. Normally, I would have been stressed about it but she reminded me of Greta in more ways than one. "Do you live here alone?"

"Yes ma'am," I admit.

"That's not safe... Oh, dearie, you have no furniture!" She frowns deeply as she looks around the empty living room.

"Yeah, I don't...." I murmured, gesturing to my empty living room.

"My grandson is coming by tomorrow to drop off some stuff in my basement because they are moving into a bigger home. I could give whatever they don't want to keep," She offers, raising her eyebrows.

"That's too kind," I murmur, casually setting the pepper spray into the closet.

She bustles into the kitchen and sets up the fresh casserole on the counter. "Yes, I'll make sure that Ray donates his stuff for you. It's so empty here! Lovely place though. The family who lived here before you, Kendra and Deanna, they were such a lovely couple. They adopted two children and their kids grew up so the two decided to travel the world together. I think I last heard that they were in the UK!" She chats aimlessly, taking off the aluminum foil. "Tomorrow I'll come by in the evening with the furniture. I think Ray said that he was coming with Jen sometime in the late afternoon so we will drop in after that. Does that work for you, dear?" Mrs. Wilkens turns to me finally, folding the foil. I nod mutely. "Oh dear, do you have sheets upstairs?" With that, she invites herself upstairs and makes a tsking sound as she sees the mattress. "This won't do!" She comes back down, shaking her head. "I'll run over to my place and bring back some sheets and a blanket. I cannot believe I didn't think of that. They really left nothing here and you have nothing, you poor thing!" I saw stars as she pats my cheek in what was supposed to be a gentle gesture, squeezing my eyes shut until the wave of dizziness. Mrs. Wilkens gasps, "Oh, are you alright dear?"

I open my eyes, trying to play it cool. "Y-yes, sorry! I'm just tired," I lie through gritted teeth as my cheek throbs.

She frowns deeply before spinning around the empty house then she turns back to me. She reaches out and slowly takes my hand. I allow, confused. She lifts the sleeve and sees the dark bruising on my arm, her eyes widening in understanding. "Oh, sweetie!" She breathes. "Oh my sweet girl!"