Chapter 27.

~Orlando POV~ October 2036

I stare at the baby in the car carrier, my heart racing

I stare at the baby in the car carrier, my heart racing. Her little face scrunches as she glares up at me, her little hands clenched into fists. She wore a pink onesie that made the angry pink flush on her cheeks stand out. Aria's stuffed elephant, Rafaa, sat in the carrier next to her along with a letter addressed to me. Hesitantly, I reach down and take out the letter.

Lan,

Lan,

I do not know where to even begin. I have written and rewritten this so many times that I am at a loss for any words so I will keep this brief. This is Sierra Evans, our daughter, born on July 17th, 2036. She was about two months early. I smuggled her away from Xander for her own protection. She is the light of my life and I have to protect her from him. I am so sorry for leaving but I had to hide from him. He found me and I am with him, risking everything to get C out. Please take care of her.

I miss you with all my heart. I wish things had turned out differently. That we could have gotten engaged, fallen in love, and I had Sierra with you by my side. It is a life I imagine in my dreams when I fall asleep at night. I will dream of it when Xander inevitably finds out about Sierra. I will miss my daughter dearly but can get through whatever he does to me by knowing that she is safe. Don't let her forget me if he kills me.

<3 A

P.S. She does not have any allergies I am aware of yet and has hit most milestones.

I reread the letter, looking back down at the child. My child. She had my eyes but Aria's face. Sierra's face continues to glare at me, unhappy with her situation. "You and me both, babygirl," I murmur quietly, setting the letter down on the counter. My eyes welled up at the thought of Xander killing Aria. She was alone when he found her and he probably had hurt her, angry for her leaving him. He probably would hurt her more for smuggling our daughter away. She risked everything for Sierra. For me. Sierra whimpers, reaching up. Hesitantly, I lean down, unbuckling her from the carrier. I slowly lift her into my arms, staring down at her. "You miss her, don't you?" I muse quietly.

As if in answer, small tears appear in her eyes. Sierra makes a quiet unhappy noise, her bottom lip quivering.

"I miss her too," I sigh, looking back at the letter. "But I guess it's just us for a little bit until we can find her. Can we make that work?"