Chapter 30.

I wake up, screaming. Xander had put me back in the box and left me there to die as the air holes closed one by one. Sweaty and shaking, I stand up, going to look into Sierra's room. She was curled up on her bed, sleeping peacefully with her thumb in her mouth. I sat down and watched her until I fell asleep.

The next morning, I knew I would have to talk about the past year but I was not ready. I was about to knock on Djordje's door but then I heard him yelling. Quickly, I opened the door, seeing Djordje thrashing in his bed. I bite my lip before going over, shaking him gently. "Djordje, wake up!" I say, but he was too far into his dream. I shove him harder, "wake up!" I say louder. Suddenly, I was on the bed with him on top of me with a choking grip on my neck. I struggled, coughing, but he did not let go. "It's Aria! Djordje, stop!" I gasp out, coughing. He was damp with sweat and his pupils slowly registered what was happening.

He let go of me, rolling to the side, "Get out."

I sat up, "Are you okay?" I ask shakily.

Djordje looks back at me, "No, now get out!"

I frown deeply, leaving. I knew all too well how those nightmares felt so real. How everything in the dream was vivid and scary. I managed to find my way to the kitchen before someone kicked me out, telling me where to sit for breakfast.

I ordered eggs, sausage, and toast. When it came, I ate the eggs but pushed everything else around on my plate as it did not seem as appealing anymore. I look up as Anastasia walks in. As always, she was glowing. "Good morning, Aria," She says, smiling at me. She must have stayed here when my family took me back home to give us some space.

"Morning," I murmur, unable to hide the pang of jealousy that arose when I saw her. She had the perfect life, perfect body, and perfect hair. It hurt in more ways than I could explain.

"I know we never really talked before, but I'd really like to get to know you." She sits down across from me. "I think after everything you've been through, it would be good to have a female friend to talk to about everything."

I force a smile, "I'd like that." I lied.

She leaves with Sierra later that morning and I am left to my own devices in Djordje's home. After he choked me this morning, I stayed out of his way and he stayed out of mine. I decided to go outside, not wanting to be inside any longer. I explore the mansion grounds, staying close to the house, too anxious to have it leave my sight. It was nice to be outside, however. I sit in the grass, staring out at the fields as the morning turns to afternoon.

Djordje finds me as the sun begins to set, sitting down next to me. He offers me a bottle of water, "I'm sorry about this morning."

"Don't worry about it," I murmur, taking a long appreciative sip.

"It's inexcusable. I should never have touched you like that," He says, adamantly.

"I'm used to it," I admit, touching my neck lightly.

He runs a hand through his hair, "You shouldn't be. No one should ever touch you like that, Aria." I do not answer that, knowing if I tried, I would cry.

That afternoon, I woke up to the sounds of my family arguing with Djordje. Hesitantly, I go to my door, listening. The clock on the wall reads 1 pm.

"She does not want to be with you!" Djordje defends me, his voice angry. "She came back here last night because she did not feel safe with you guys!"

"She is my daughter and I will talk to her!" My father roars, making the house shake.

I tremble, dragging a brush through my hair before going downstairs. Djordje is toe to toe with my father and Draven, unfazed by their height. "She will not-" He is saying but stops as he sees me. "Aria, say the word and I will send them away." I think of how he sat up with me at four in the morning, letting me cry in his living room. I should let him send them away but I do not, shaking my head a little.