Chapter 48

Chapter 48.  

~Aria POV~

I tried to focus on Christmas but it was difficult after what had happened last month. Xander took a toll on my recovery and I distanced myself from everyone, except Sierra. She would not see or know the turmoil going on inside of my head. I forced myself to find light and happiness when I am around her, even though I cannot find it in myself. I knew that Orlando suspected something wrong but how much, I was not sure.

It was not until the day after Christmas that I found out that Xander announced my pregnancy for the world to hear. I wondered how he even knew. I told no one. In fact, I even shoplifted the pregnancy test yesterday during the last-minute holiday shopping, not wanting it to show up on my card or to be seen buying one with cash. With the paparazzi prowling behind my every move, it was too dangerous. I found out Christmas Day evening. I escaped during dinner to take the test, finding out. As the party got loud downstairs, I fell into a heap on my bathroom floor, crying as quietly as I could. Then, I dried my eyes, going downstairs as if nothing happened. I hid the test under a loose floorboard under my carpet.

Yet somehow, Xander still knew. It could not have been a lucky guess. He heard my telling Draven and Orlando, then bombed Draven's house within half an hour. I closed my eyes, wondering how he possibly knew. When I questioned both of them about it, they chalked it up to a timing thing. Now, I tell no one and he announces it the same night. My head throbs as I try to puzzle out how he knows. I keep nothing of his. My phone was in another room both times. Yet, he heard everything. I have a memory of that first night I spent at his house in Texas. One of the men mentioned microtech. He said he implanted a tracking chip in his cheating wife to follow her whereabouts. My eyes shoot open at the thought. I would not put it past him. Bastard.

Immediately, my fingers begin roaming my body. I press down, searching. Legs, stomach, back, neck. I slide my fingers across my forearm then up my bicep. Same with the other arm. Nothing. I curse softly, flexing my arm muscles angrily as my fists clench. This is stupid. Perhaps it all is coincidental- something moves in my arm. I nearly scream as I reach up with shaking hands to touch the inner part of my left bicep. It is close to my armpit, about a finger width down from the muscle. How did I miss this?

I go to the bathroom mirror, climbing onto the sink. I lift my arm, staring at it as I feel around. There is a small metal rod. When I spent my night recaptured by Xander, he leaned down to kiss it once or twice. I chalked it up to an act of gentleness but now I knew otherwise. He knew it had been there. I tremble at what he may have heard, or have recorded. My heart drops. Xander invaded my privacy. My heart beats faster.

I leave my room, going downstairs to Beck's bedroom. He is with some other guards, hanging out around the TV. I gesture to him, finger on my lips. He opens his mouth to talk but I shake my head adamantly. He frowns, leaving the room. I reach over, taking his hand. He lets me place it on my arm. He presses, eyes widening as he feels the rod.

He nods his understanding. Beck grabs my wrist, half dragging me to Draven and Ana's room, knocking quietly. Draven comes out, "What?" He asks. He is shirtless.

"Can you help with Sierra?" Beck asks, taking Draven's hand and moving it to my arm.

"Yes," Draven says, immediately feeling the implant. His eyes widen, looking at me as he realizes.

They brought me down to the kitchen, shutting all the doors. Draven grabs a knife and comes over as Beck gestures for me to lay down on the kitchen table. Shakily, I do, lifting my arm above my head. It is so late at night that the servants have cleaned up Christmas dinner and are now either with their families or partying. Draven tosses me a hand towel, washing his hands. I bit down on the towel as Beck pins my arms down and my year of training with Xander kicked in as the knife entered my skin. It took every fiber of my being not to cry out as he cut around but when Draven stuck his fingers into the wound, searching for it, I screamed. My knee caught Beck in the rib and he grunted, continuing to pin my arms in place until Draven came up with the device. Tears flowed freely down my cheeks and Draven crushes the chip under the knife.