Chapter 53.

Chapter 43.

~Aria POV~

Over the next few weeks, Sebastian and I spent a lot of time together whenever he was free. We did everything from crafts with Sierra to having a quickie in his office. He made me feel alive again. There were no strings attached, worries about my family, concerns for my safety or for Sierra's, and Xander's name did not cross my mind as I fell in love. I was able to discover love in its purest form.

I started working at the daycare at camp. With the influx of refugees, there were tons of young children there. We worked with children of all ages, babies to age 6. A school opened, teaching students ages 6 through 17. It was amazing to have this normalcy in camp despite the lack of it occurring across the country.

At daycare, we divided the children up by ages. We kept the under 3s together, 3 and 4s together, and then the 5-6's in a separate room. I worked with the 3 and 4s which I loved. We played games, drew pictures, practiced the alphabet, read books, and took many dance breaks. I was able to let loose and just have fun with the children.

Every two weeks, we practiced a camp drill on what to do if we were under attack. It was hard to keep the children calm during those but after the first few, they began to accept it as part of the routine. Sierra is thriving with the other children, making friends, and learning a lot. Our next door neighbors are always open to watching her because they were a little older than her and loved babying her. It reminds me of my time growing up with Vivianna and Jasper whenever I see her playing with them. Their mom, Rebecca, loves having another girl over. Her three boys:

Julianna is also doing well without her ex. Julianna, Amanda, and Amara all worked at the welcome committee which formed to greet the new refugees entering the camp. It had been my idea that I brought up to Sebastian and he had wholeheartedly agreed. Their job was to ensure incoming refugees had the necessary resources they needed: tents, sleeping bags, blankets, and medicine. Amanda did a lot of the organization while Amara and Julianna did the distribution and checkups. Will worked in the kitchens with Mrs. J. She was harsh and mean but with his ideas, the food got marginally better. He became something of a local hero in camp after that. Everyone thanked him for the improvement. Will claims it makes the countless raps on his knuckles with her wooden spoon.

James and Kennedy both are enlisted quickly, serving in Beck's unit. Beck promises he will keep an eye out for them. He quickly rose through the ranks and now commanded the 15th unit. He also worked construction during the nights he was not watching Sierra. With the influx of people, Sebastian decided that construction needed to continue through the night to ensure everything was completed in a timely manner. The daycare, schools, and new-housing units were all examples of their necessity. Life at camp was good. Everyone feels safe and we are making due with the resources we had, ensuring that everyone had access.

~

After a long day at the daycare, I walk over to Sebastian's office for our lunch date, humming softly. I knock and wait, not wanting to disturb the meeting. I can hear him talking inside, wondering who Sebastian is meeting with. A second voice joins in. It is raised in anger. I frown deeply, leaning closer to hear.

"We need to formally take a stance against Xander!" The second voice growls. "You've seen what he's been doing." I swallow at the first mention of my husband's name in weeks.

"It's too soon! We don't have enough men, and the men we do have are untrained!" Sebastian quips back. "We need more time!"

"Then increase training time!" The man yells.

"Caine, you know that's not how it works!" Sebastian replies calmly. "We need more resources than what we have now: guns, ammo, radio's. You're head of security so do what you need to do to see it done. I don't want to hear it anymore."