Chapter 51.

Chapter 51. Chapter 40.

~Aria POV~

I woke up with a pounding headache, "Holy fuck," I mutter under my breath.

"Howy fuck!" Sierra says, giggling.

My eyes shot open and I sat up which I immediately regretted. "Sierra, don't say that word!" I said.

"Mommy!" She pointed out and Beck opened his eyes, a slight grin on his face.

I threw a pillow at him, "Not funny!" I say and he busts out laughing. Sierra squeals and shouts the f word again.

"You're hungover and your child knows arguably one of the worst curse words!" Beck wheezes, ducking from the second pillow being thrown his way.

I roll my eyes and get up, "I'm going to the bathroom. C, do you want to come?"

She nods and we bundle up before going outside. I held her hand tightly as we made our way through camp, getting in line for the bathroom. Luckily it moved quickly but when it got to about 10 people ahead of us, Sierra was close to losing it. Thankfully, they let us go ahead and I got her to the bathroom before any accidents. "Thank you, sorry!" I said as I left with her.

~

Sebastian enrolled me in self-defense training the next day after our meeting. I showed up to the grounds, hesitantly waiting at the edge of the crowd until the instructor came over to introduce himself. His name was Carlos. He is very strong, wearing his army pants and only a tank top which showed off his muscles.

"General Sawyer said we were getting a new recruit!" He smiles, gesturing for me to join the class. "Do you have any self-defense experience, Ms. Evans?"

I swallow, my mind flashing to the countless times I threw my hands up to defend myself against Xander. It did nothing, unless I had a surge of adrenaline triggered by my fight or flight. Even as a child when I would get in physical fights with Jasper, Viv, and Fletcher, I had always been the underdog. I had some training in martial arts but it did nothing when it really came down to it. I always caved. I was a coward and that needed to change. "No," I whisper, biting the inside of my cheek hard.

Carlos chuckles but nods, "No worries! We'll get you caught up to the other recruits in no time. Go ahead and drop your stuff then take a lap around to warm up. They're stretching right now so go join them once you finish your lap."

I did as I was told, forcing myself to jog around the field. I was not even halfway around when I felt like I was going to die. My lungs screamed in protest as did my body. I had not done physical activity like this in a very long time. My breath came in puffs in front of my face in the crisp morning air as I joined the group, copying their stretches. There were quiet murmurs of introduction but I forgot most of their names by the time the last person went. From the other side of the field, Carlos calls for us to pair up. I look around as the recruits talk softly, walking off with their partners. A pit grows in my stomach as I anxiously search the faces of the strangers around me for someone to partner with.

An arm links into mine and I start, looking up at the friendly face of Amanda. "I'll be your partner!" She grins, winking at me.

The panic in my stomach subsides and I give her a shy smile in return. "Let's do it!"

I liked the way that Carlos taught because he added progressions. If you did not feel ready for the next progression, you remained on the level you felt most comfortable at. I practice throwing punches, jabs, kicks, and a few evasive techniques. I was soaked in sweat by the time the class ended, exhausted from Amanda throwing me to the ground like I weighed nothing. I knew I was bruised but when she held her hand out to help me up yet again as the class ended, I felt a surge of triumph that accompanied me. I had just taken an hour and a half to do something for myself, learned a lot, and relished in the sense of accomplishment.