Chapter 52.

Chapter 52.

Beck and I moved into a small cabin similar to Sebastian's a few days later. I was glad to be away from the loud campground, be in warmth at night, and enjoy AC during the day. The last few nights, we combined our sleeping bags and cuddled Sierra because she was shivering. It was somewhat uncomfortable but I trusted Beck with my life. He is like a fourth brother that I never wanted. I did not tell anyone about what happened with Sebastian earlier that week. I am sore, wincing with each step but forcing myself to hide the pain from Beck and Sierra. Beck asked me where I went the other night so I gave him some lame excuse about needing fresh air. As a guard, he knows how strictly the curfew is enforced but he does not question me. Under my oversized crewneck, I wear shorts and a large pad to catch the bleeding. Still, I am no longer carrying Xander's child. It feels frightening yet freeing.

I managed a few decorations from the things we packed but the cabin comes mostly furnished. There is a small seating area, three cots, bathroom, a handful of kitchen items, and paintings on the walls. This makes me silently question if Sebastian had something to do with it. The thought of the General decorating our small cabin before we arrive makes me chuckle to myself. I sit down, wincing in pain at the small kitchen table. Beck sets the bag down, "Coming back out?" He asks, Sierra exploring the house.

I shake my head, "I need to rest," I say, through gritted teeth. If he realizes why, he does not say anything, going to grab the last few bags from the golf cart. I sip from the water flask, leaning back in the chair.

Beck brings the rest of the bags in, letting me direct him as to where to unpack things. I do most of the kitchen, forcing myself from the chair. Every step hurts but I cannot let him see. When I finish, I tell him I have the daycare meeting, catching the shuttle back to camp. I walk over to the women who make up the daycare group, ensuring the responsibility to open the facility to take care of our children. They are in the middle of a meeting, smiling over at me as I sit down next to my friend Quinn. She reached over, squeezing my leg. In the past day since I made the request for a daycare, the General pushed the construction team hard to get it up and running, making them work 24/7. Now, there is a team of educators, volunteers, and older children who assist in running the round-the-clock daycare center. Today's meeting was about teacher training, supplies, and curriculum. I stayed for the rest of the meeting, taking notes before returning home.

Beck leaves for guard duty which left Sierra and me to prepare our new home. We got about 4 inches of snow last night so her focus was getting time to play in the snow. I made her help me with chores for a little before letting her out to play. She made snow angels and we made a snowman. The new house was in a small neighborhood about a mile from the base. It felt far removed but more natural to let Sierra live in. Families with children and the elderly are prioritized for this neighborhood. The next-door neighbors were a couple with five children. There were three boys and two girls. Sierra ran over and began to play with them in the snow.

I finish putting the living room together, before going outside to check on Sierra. She is in the middle of a snowball fight with the other family. She is on the team with two of the older boys, making the snowballs for them to throw at their sister and baby brother.

Choosing violence, I grab some snow, forming a tight ball before throwing one at my daughter. It knocks her off her feet. Sierra yells at me and then throws more snow at me. It misses.

"Ms. Evans, that was so mean!" The eldest boy says, a grin on his face as he helps Sierra to her feet.

I laugh softly, "I know. I'm sorry, baby!" I say to my daughter. Then to the group, "Want to get into a real snowball fight?"

They nod eagerly and go off to make their plan. I begin making my pyramid of snowballs. Four inches is not a lot of snow but it is enough for around 20 balls. I move my collection behind a tree, preparing to take down the six children. I am severely outnumbered but I might have a fighting chance if I play my cards right. Sierra is the youngest so she will not be much of an opponent. The middle two sisters can throw but they usually miss. The eldest brother has the arm of a baseball player so he will be my first target.