Chapter 2.

19 September 2025- 7 years old

I carefully walk up the stairs to Mama and Papà's room. Everything in the house had gone from colorful and bright, to dark and somber. Papi's death made everyone very sad and no one would play with me. Viviana had not been allowed back into our house since the incident behind the bushes. Papà said we could not play together despite how much I begged him.

I knock softly and Mama lets me in. I hug her legs tightly before she picks me up, bringing me to her bathroom. She sits me on the counter, taking out her makeup. She starts to put makeup on me to cover my bruise when Papà walks in, cigar in his mouth. "Can you tie my- what're you doing?"

"Covering her bruise, Leonardo," Mama says, looking at him pointedly.

"No, Sophia, leave it. We'll say they did it to her." He replies, wrapping his arms around her waist, resting his chin on her shoulder. Mama and Papà always talk about "them" and I know they are bad but I was never exactly sure who my parents were talking about.

She sighs deeply and grabs the makeup wipes, wiping my face. "If anyone asks who hit you, you say that it was the man who gave you the box."

I frown, "But that's lying, Mama... I thought lying was bad."

She gives Papà a look in the mirror and he nods. "You can only lie if Mama or I ask you to." He says, looking at me seriously. "Do you understand, dolcezza?" //sweetness//

I look at Mama and she nods so I copy the motion. "Okay, Papà... Can I bring Rafa?"

Mama is turned around, tying Papà's tie. "No."

I sigh and attempt to climb down but it is too high. Papà lifts me down, "Don't mess up your dress or Mama will get angry," He whispers in my ear. Then in a normal tone, "Go make sure your brothers are ready."

I walk out and head downstairs to their rooms. I walk into Fletcher's room first, "Papà wants to know if you're ready."

He turns around, "Almost. I'll be down in a second."

I walk out and go to Ryker's next. "Papà wants to know if you're ready."

Ryker's face was red but he stood, nodding. "Yes. I'll be downstairs." He sways as he stands up, grabbing the edge of his bed for support.

After Ryker's, I stop at Draven's room, knocking. Draven always gets mad at me if I don't knock. "Papà wants to know if you're ready."

He looks up, sitting on his bed. "Come here." I walk over and he helps me up onto the bed. "I'm so sorry that I made you open it, Aria." His arm loops around me, holding me close.

I look up at him, tears pricking my eyes again as I think about the incident. "It's okay..."

"It's not, sorellina," His voice was thick. //little sister//

"Come on, we're going to be late," Fletcher says from outside the door. Draven picks me up, walking down with Fletcher and Ryker. I wrap my arms around his neck tightly and lay my cheek against his chest. Closing my eyes as tightly as I could, I felt safe as we reached the bottom of the stairs, waiting for the rest of our family. Upstairs, someone was crying. It was a familiar sound ever since the incident.

Fletcher notices, "Let's just wait in the car." He says knowingly and Draven nods.

We all take different cars, me riding with Ryker. He had been really close to Papi so he was sad. When he sniffles, I reach over and slide my hand into his big one. He kisses the top of my hand gently; it was wet when it fell back onto my booster seat. I watch out the window as we leave the house. Everyone was coming to Papi's funeral; Mama said that he was dead and he was going to heaven with the angels.