Chapter 6.

2029             11 years old

~Aria POV~

Since my kidnapping a few years ago, Papà had really amped up security around the house. He added motion detectors, cameras, and more guards around the clock. The carefree aspect of my life had shifted now and I was more aware of our dealings. Beck had an adjoining room to mine at all times except when he took off and one of Draven's guards were my alternates like Harry, Niall, Liam or Louis.

I hum quietly as I walk down to the kitchen. Draven is talking softly as I walk past his room. I walk all the way to the kitchen and climb into a seat at the island. Greta looks at me, "Hey honey, did you finish your homework?"

"Yeah," I said, running a hand through my hair. "Do we have a family dinner?"

Greta shakes her head, "No, everyone is going to the gala at the art gallery."

I groan, "Oh right. Can I have pasta?"

"No, you had pasta last night," She reminds me in a motherly tone.

"Bu-" I started.

"No buts. I have some salmon in the fridge. How about salmon and green beans?" She gives me a look.

"Okay. That sounds good, I guess." I smile wryly at her. "Is Mama awake yet?"

Greta shakes her head. "No, I don't think so. You should wake her up before your father comes home."

I hop down from the island chair, "Gotcha. Then I'll help with dinner." I hurry upstairs and up the second flight to Mama and Papà's rooms. I knock, receiving no answer. I open the door slowly, peering in. "Mama?" I call softly. I see her on the bed, the orange bottle of pills laying on its side on the bedside table. I sigh, walking over, and shaking her gently. "Mama, wake up." She groans softly but does not move. I sigh and shake her harder. "Wake up! Papà's gonna be home and you have the art gala tonight!"

This time, she does not make a sound or move. I huff, walking to the bathroom. I got a clean face cloth and wet it. I come back, squeezing it on her face. She yelps in surprise, rubbing her eyes. "Wake up!" I say, raising my voice at her. "You have things to do before Papà comes home."

She groans, "Get me something to drink."

I go to the kitchenette, climb onto the counter, and get a cup. I fill it with water and bring it to her. "Drink this."

She does and sits up slowly. "Thanks, honey..."

I nod, "Get ready for the art function, Mama."

"I will." I give her a look, "Okay, I'm getting out of bed." She stands slowly, grunting and holding her head. "Can you make me a drink?"

"No, Greta said you're not supposed to drink if you take the pills," I reminded her. Greta had told me that the combination could be deadly.

An angry hiss leaves my mother's lips, "Well, Greta can shut her-"

"Mama!" I cut her off.

She sighs, "I'm sorry... I just get irritable if I don't sleep.. I'll be down when your father comes back."

I nod, turning around. "Don't go back to sleep." I head downstairs to the kitchen. "I woke her up, Greta."

She nods, "Good girl. Come cut these beans."

"Okay." I did as she asked, taking the knife carefully. "She said that she wanted a drink."

Greta looks at me for a moment, "Okay... I'll talk to her later."