Chapter Twenty-Four

The Bad Boy Is My Baby's Daddy

January 27th 2013
____________________________________
Chapter Twenty-Four - Terrance Archibald

''Congratulations, it's a baby boy.'' The female nurse said, her voice slightly muffled by the yellow surgical mask that covered her mouth and nose. I furrowed my eyebrows, my eyes trailing down to the blue bundle that was being cradled in her arms.

I frowned, swallowing down a sudden lump in my throat. ''W-why isn't he crying?''

''Sir, hold your baby boy,'' The nurse insisted, placing the light bundle in my awaiting arms. I quickly glanced down, adjusting the soft blue blanket and gazed down upon the face of...my lifeless baby boy. ''It must have been hard to carry around a stillborn, but have you chosen a name?''

I choked on a sob that had lodged it's way up my throat while salty tears sprang from my tear ducts, gazing down at the silent little infant boy cradled in my arms, his skin was pale blue with flushed red spots and his eyes were crusted shut.

I let out another choked sob, suddenly feeling like I had the weight of the world crashing into me while I cried out my agony, clutching the small bundle close to my chest, praying this not be true. Praying this wasn't real.

''He's dead, Terrance, our baby's dead,'' Cloud's emotionless monotone voice sounded and I snapped my head up with tears still streaming down my flushed cheeks to stare at an even more emotionless and void shell of Cloud. ''He's dead, he's dead, he's dead--''

''S-stop, Cloud, please.'' I managed to whimper my plead.

''--he's dead, he's dead, he's dead,'' Cloud continued as if I hadn't spoken and while he continued on like a broken record, I continued to sob, clutching our dead baby boy to my chest, rocking back and fourth; still unbelieving.

''He'd have been such a sweetheart,'' The nurse spoke up again, stepping forward and I felt her hands on my baby and I screamed as she took him from my grasp, cradling my lifeless baby back in her arms once again. ''I'm sorry for your losses.''

''Give me back my baby!'' I screeched but suddenly everything around me went dark before I was standing upright and stared down a dark hallway where at the end was a large metal door that was being illuminating with a bright white glow and against my will my legs walked towards the door that opened up to reveal a hospital room but it wasn't empty; it was occupied with the sound of a baby crying.

''Shhh, little boy,'' A familiar female voice hushed and I snapped my eyes to Joyce whom was laying in the hospital bed with a blue bundle in her arms. ''Mommy and daddy are here, don't you worry.''

''He's beautiful,'' Cloud's voice spoke and I swear my heart broke in two as I slowly turned my gaze onto him, choking back another sob as I saw the proud smile taking over his lips while he gazed down at the baby in Joyce's arms before leaning forward and placed a kiss on top of Joyce's head. ''Just like his mommy.''

''And his daddy.'' Joyce said with a bright laugh, smiling up at Cloud with the most loving smile. I took a step back, shaking my head before taking another only to bump into a solid body and quickly whirled around to face the female nurse who's face was still covered with a yellow surgical mask.

''Again, I'm terribly sorry for your losses.''

I jolted awake with a gasp before I slowly sat upright in bed, covered in a cold sweat while gasping in a breath to try and soothe the frantic beating of my heart while my hands instinctively went down to caress my swollen belly with a shaky breath. I paused for a moment, listening to my breathing while I waited for a sudden jolt in my stomach that would alert me of my baby being alive and well but after a few moments with nothing—I panicked.