Epilogue

"Daddy!!!"

"Alden!"

A four year old boy came rushing towards Richard as he approached his family at the waiting area of the hospital. He stopped and stooped down to wait for the boy who was in tears. The boy quickly wrapped his arms around Richard's neck and continued to cry when his father stood and carried him towards their waiting family.

It had been two years and 9 months since Richard and Maine got married. Getting the go signal from Doc Burnz, the couple tried for a year to conceive but weren't able to do so.

Maine was saddened by the turn of events but Richard was there with her every step. They took solace with each other, and focused on the positive. It was then that the couple decided to try adoption.

The couple first saw him at an orphanage they've visited when they were inquiring about adoption. He was a very energetic two year old who was entertaining the attendants of the orphanage with a song. He was in tune but like most two year old, you wouldn't be able to understand what he was saying. But he was a happy toddler and when he smiled, there was a deep dimple on his right cheek. Maine was completely taken by the child that they immediately asked if they could be tested for compatibility.

After a series of interviews and a lot of paperwork, they've finally able to bring him home with them. They named their new son "Alden", a promise that they've kept to Richard's brother, and the boy immediately filled the couple's hearts with love and laughter.

The small family was already content with the blessing they have when after a year, another unexpected blessing came to them.

During one of Maine's regular check ups, Dr. Vega noticed some slight changes in her. After she answered a couple of questions, the good doctor had asked for an additional test and an ultrasound. To the shock and delight of the couple, Dr. Vega announced that Maine was pregnant.

With Richard wanting to be extra careful with his wife's pregnancy, he decided to move his family from their home that he had built with the help of his parents, back to the Mendozas home. For a time, Maine was moved as a ground staff until Martin himself forbid Maine to come in to work anymore and given her an extended leave. Richard requested to get assigned to South East Asian countries only, so he'd be able to come home often.

So on the day of Maine's due date, Richard came rushing from the airport.

"Why are you crying?" Richard asked his son who was still holding him tightly. "Mom, why is Alden crying?"

Mary Anne gave a soft chuckle as his son-in-law approached them. Her husband, Ted was beside her, chuckling as well. She replied, "he was with Maine when her water broke. He thought that it was his fault that his mommy was sent to the hospital."

"Oh, son," he said as he rubbed his son's back in an up and down motion to soothe him. "It's not your fault. Your baby sister is just excited to see you."

"Weally?" Alden sniffed and let Richard wipe away his tears.

"Yes, really," Richard smiled that also made his son smile as well. "You're going to be a big brother soon so you need to keep that smile, okay?"

"Otey, Daddy."

"Come on," Richard said as he sat beside his mother-in-law. "Go with nonna for a bit so I could see mommy. Be a good boy, okay?"

"Awden a good boy," his son remarked that made Mary Anne laugh when he reached out to her.

"Yes you are, Sweetheart," she said as her grandson wrapped his little arms around her neck. "You're such a good boy."