Chapter 13

The next day when Alden and his mom came home from Church, Alden immediately set to work on the bike that he would be using to take Maine around the village. He made sure that the backseat was secure, the chains were well-oiled, the brakes were functioning and no parts were loose or broken.

"Where do you plan on taking Maine, Sweetheart?" Rio asked as she checked on her son who was getting ready to pick up Maine from next door.

"I was planning on bringing her to the park," Alden replied. "She's already been to the church. I'll take her to the park so that it's a different scenery."

"Perfect," she said. They were already heading downstairs when she added, "attach the basket on the bike so you can bring the food I've made for the two of you."

"You've made us a snack?"

"Yes," she answered. Her excitement couldn't be hidden as Rio was smiling from ear to ear. She continued, "of course I did. You should have something to eat on your first date."

"Mom!" Alden exclaimed, looking at her incredulously. "It's not a date. I'm just taking her around the village."

"It feels like a date to me," Rio laughed as she could see the blush starting to appear on Alden's cheeks and his ears have started to redden as well. "Just imagine. Maine has her arms wrapped around your waist as you show her the different landmarks you've been hanging out when you were younger. She would lean closer so she could hear you speak. Her cheeks pressing on your back -"

"Mom," Alden cut her off, a horrified expression etched across his face. "You're scaring me now. I knew I shouldn't have told you I asked permission to court Maine from Tito Teddy."

"Alden," she replied. "Even if you didn't tell me, Mary Anne will. I would still find out. I'm your mother. I always find out."

"Still," he remarked. "Please tone down the excitement, mom. Maine doesn't know. And I don't want her to feel awkward around me if she finds out. I'll suffer the two-year wait, but Maine shouldn't. I'm her only friend right now, I don't want her to lose the only friend she has because things got weird between us."

Rio looked at the pleading look on Alden's face and chuckled. She closed the gap between them and gave her son a pinch on both of his cheeks, dislodging his glasses a bit.

"I can't promise I'll be able to hide my excitement," Rio replied as she fixed the glasses back up to its proper place. "Any mother would be proud of seeing her son in love for the first time! But I'll keep the giddiness in check especially when Maine's around."

Alden saw his mother's smile falter a bit and had a far away look for a split second before the smile returned full force when she looked directly at him. He knew that look, but he didn't comment on it. Instead he said, "you make it sound as if she said 'yes' already, mom."

"Well," Rio remarked as she let go of her son and headed towards their house to get the packed snacks she made for them. "It's a no-brainer, Sweetheart. She'll definitely say 'yes'. It's a question of will you be able to win over Ted. Being friends with Maine is all well and good but to be her boyfriend when the time comes, that's a different story. He might love you like a son right now but let's wait in two years when you're finally officially courting her and eventually become her boyfriend."

Alden watched his mother leave to get their food as he went to a nearby cabinet where they keep the bike accessories. He reached for the basket and hurriedly attached it to the front of the bike. His mom showed up a few moments later carrying one of their grocery bag.

"Mom," Alden started, looking so surprised as his mother handed them their snack. "Maine and I aren't running off together. We'll be back in an hour, maybe two, depending on how full we'll be. This could feed an army."

"You're exaggerating," his mom remarked giving him a scowl. "It can only feed ten people at the most. Besides, you could work up an appetite biking around. Better to have extra."

Alden tried to reply but words failed him at that moment. He opened his mouth and closed it immediately, and just sighed. He smiled at his mom and gave her a one handed hug as he was still holding the bag of food for their bike ride.

"You think of everything," he finally said as he gave her a peck on the cheek. "Thanks mom. I love you."

"I love you too, Sweetheart," she replied and watched her son place the bag of food in the basket. "Have fun and enjoy. Don't just make this day for Maine. Make it for the both of you."

"I will."

Rio watched as Alden opened their gate and led the bike outside walking the short distance between their house and their neighbor's.