Chapter 18

Maine checked the alarm clock on her bedside table and wondered what was taking Alden so long to visit her. When they ended their conversation last night, Alden just said that he was going to a study group for his finals but would be home before 6pm. It was already 6:45pm and he still hasn't showed up.

"I wonder what's keeping him," Maine said out loud to no one in particular. "It wasn't like him to be this late. Maybe ate Jenny didn't let him in again."

Even though she was still on bedrest, she decided to leave her room and looked for her nurse. Her dad promised her that Alden can come over today. She was feeling much better. With the chest pains down to just pin pricks every time she took a deep breath, she knew that she was recovering fine.

As she stepped outside her room, her mother also stepped out of their bedroom, seemingly in a hurry and dressed to leave the house. Ate Jenny was right behind her mom, getting instructions from her.

"Mom," Maine called startling her mother. "Where are you going?"

Mary Anne stood still for a moment, shock was completely seen on her face. Unable to say anything, Jenny was the one who answered, "Ms. Faulkerson called, Maine. She just needed help with something. Your mother volunteered to drive her around."

Mary Anne finally composed herself and was able to add, "yes. Rio called and asked if I can drive her to a client tonight. Your dad will be home soon with dinner."

"Oh," Maine replied. Then suddenly remembered something and continued, "did Tita Rio mentioned if Alden was home already? He promised to visit me."

"Umm..." her mother stammered but replied. "She didn't say. But maybe Alden is just tired. His finals are coming up, right? He'd be busy reviewing. Maybe you should just let him rest for today. As you should be doing as well. Why are you up? You are on bed rest, baby. Go back to your room."

"I was actually looking for Ate Jenny to ask if Alden stopped by and she wouldn't let him in again," Maine explained.

"He hasn't arrived yet," Jenny replied. "But if he did, I might really not let him in. It's almost 7. And your mom's right. He should be focusing on his final exam."

"Dad said he could come," Maine remarked in a huff. "And Alden promised he'd drop by. Please let him in when he gets here, ate. Please!"

Seeing the look in her daughter's face, Mary Anne choked back the tears that were filling up her eyes. Rio called earlier and was in distress. She got a call from one of Alden's friends informing her that her son had an accident. He was ran over by an SUV. Apparently the driver was texting and wasn't paying attention to the road.

Rio was so distraught that she told her that she might not be able to drive. Mary Anne immediately volunteered to drive her to the hospital and assist Alden's mother anyway she can. She got ready to leave, calling her husband to tell him what happened and gave instructions to Jenny not to inform Maine of the accident. Her daughter was still recovering and it would be very distressing for her heart if she found out. She was making good progress, but it would literally break her heart if she found this out.

"Mom," she heard Maine say. "Are you crying?"

Mary Anne immediately wiped the tears she hadn't noticed she already shed. The thought of Maine's heart breaking either literally or methaporically scared her. But she shouldn't show the worry. Not right now. She smiled and said, "I'm fine. I think I'm going to get a cold though. It's making my eyes watery."

Maine scowled at her mother's explanation. She could see the unease in her demeanor and wondered what was causing it.

"Is Tita Rio alright?"

"She's fine," Mary Anne replied. "I guess, this is a very important client for her to actually need to meet in a rush."

Maine just nodded and said that she'll return to her room. Her mother was already heading downstairs when Maine called out again, "Ate Jenny! Please! If Alden gets here, let him in. I promise I won't keep him long. I just want to see him. Please ate, please!"

Jenny and Mary Ann exchanged nervous glances. They were silent for a moment until Jenny answered, "well, it would now depend on your dad, Maine."

Maine smiled at her reply. She knew her dad would let Alden in even if he arrived at midnight. She watched her mother leave and returned to her room.