Chapter 22

"Jase!" Rio called, shock and relief sounding in her voice.

The boy Rio called "Jase" reached them and gave her a tight embrace which Rio returned with the same intensity.

"I missed you, mom!" He said.

"My sweet boy," she replied. "I missed you too. But I wasn't expecting you to come. Your father didn't mention you'd be joining him."

"I didn't give him a choice," Jase answered sheepishly. "I hid dad's passport and didn't return it to him until I was sure he was taking me with him."

Rio gave his son a slap on the shoulder and a scolding, telling him that he shouldn't have pulled a stunt like that on his father. Jase just gave her mom a smile that showed a dimple on his left cheek much like Alden's.

"Where's your father?" She asked.

"He went home to drop our bags," he explained. "He dropped me off so that I can accompany you in case you need anything."

He then became serious and asked, "where's Rich? Can I see him?"

When he looked up and looked around that was the only time he saw the Mendozas who stood frozen on the spot.

"Jase," Rio started. "This is Mary Anne and Ted. They're Maine's parents. Alden must have told you about her. Anne. Ted. This is Alden's twin brother, Jason."

Jason shook hands with both of Maine's parents and said, "thank you very much for being with my mom. I would have wished that we get to meet in different circumstances. How's Maine?"

At the mention of their daughter's name, both Mary Anne's and Ted's face fell with worry. Jason looked at his mom who's face also fell.

"Mom?"

"Maine isn't doing well, Jase," Rio said softly. "She's in the other room."

"What?" Jase was shocked and turned towards Maine's parents again. "Alden mentioned she had a relapse but he said she was getting better. They were even talking before he had his accident."

"She didn't take the news of Alden's accident very well, dear," Mary Anne explained, her voice was but a whisper. She's still trying to get over the shock of seeing him.

Jason's facial expression turned from worried to horrified. He couldn't imagine the pain that Maine would have felt when she found out about Alden's accident. And Alden would be devastated if he found out that Maine was hospitalized because of him.

"Is it possible for me to see her?" Jason asked Ted.

"She's currently sedated, Jason," Ted explained, finally over his initial shock.

Before anyone could answer, Dr. Cariño emerged from Alden's room. When he looked at the small group and found Jason standing among them, he double backed and checked if his patient was still there, lying on his bed. He turned once more and composed himself.

"I take it you're Alden's twin," he surmised as he reached out and shook Jase's hand.

"I'm Jase, sir," he answered. "How's my brother?"

"He's still in a coma and his brain function is getting weaker," Dr. Cariño explained.

"Can I see him?"

"Of course," he answered as he opened the door and ushered Jason inside. Jason excused himself and went inside his brother's room.

The door was left ajar as the adults were huddled together. Now over the initial shock of seeing Alden's doppelgänger, everyone was looking at Rio.

It was at that moment when Rick, Rio's husband arrived. He looked so much like his sons and his face showed worry and concern. When he finally came face to face with his estranged wife, he couldn't help but reached out and held her in a tight embrace. Rio stood frozen for a moment, then returned the embrace.

"I'm so sorry," they heard him say.

"I forgive you," was her only answer.

Rick gave a huge sigh and held her tighter. It was then that they heard music coming from Alden's room.

"Both your sons could play the guitar and sing?" Ted asked as they continued to listen to Jase playing.

"No," Rio answered. "Alden can't sing."

"And he was never interested in learning to play any musical instruments," Rick added.

"So," Mary Anne inquired. "Jason has been the one who's been singing and playing for Maine all this time?"

"I guess so," was Rio's only reply.

-oo-

When Jason came in Alden's room, he looked around and saw the monitors for his brain and his heart. He took out his guitar and let it lean on the wall as he sat down on the chair beside his brother's bed. He leaned forward and held his hand.

"Hey Rich," he said. "It's RJ."

He paused and checked the monitor if the brain function changed. He was a bit disappointed to see that it didn't.

"Come on, Rich," he continued. He tightened his hold on his brother's hand. "I know you're in there. I'm here now, bro. Come on. Just give me something...Anything! Tell me you're fighting this."

There was still no change in Alden's brain activity. Jason leaned back and sighed. He combed his hair with both his hands in frustration, his eyes filling up with tears that didn't want to fall. His eyes fell on his guitar. He sighed aloud once more and then grabbed the guitar.

"I wrote a new song," he said as he checked the tune of his instrument. "I actually wrote it on the plane ride here. I hope you like it."

He started strumming and began to sing.

🎶Lost inside your head now
Where you you like to find me
And I'm treading your water
Way out into the deep

Like living in slow motion
Burning out the days are upside down
And my eyes feel just like an ocean
'till you come back
These tears ain't running out

Time is no illusion
Every hour I spend alone

Like living in slow motion
Burning out the days are upside down
And my eyes feel just like an ocean
'till you come back
These tears ain't running out

Like living in slow motion
Burning out the days are upside down
And my eyes feel just like an ocean
'till you come back
These tears ain't running out🎶

When he finished singing, he suddenly heard a beep that came from the monitor. He looked up and saw an increase in brain function. He stood and leaned over Alden's bed. He reached out again and held his hand.

"Come on, Rich!" He said as he clutched his brother's hand. "Fight this. I know you can. I'm right here, Rich. So, fight this!"

-oo-

Author's note: Again disclaimer, the song is not an original composition. It's "Slow Motion" by Lifehouse from their "Almeria" album released in 2012.