Chapter 68

"Which one would you prefer?"

Richard and Maine were at a local bike shop near their village the next day, to start their project of fixing one of the Faulkersons' bikes. Richard suggested that since it will be the one that Maine would be using to learn how to bike, he would give her free reign on personalizing it.

"Is there anything in yellow?" She asked pointing at one particular seat in front of her. They were currently checking out the kind of seats that were available. The sales rep who was assisting them in the shop presented three different types of seats.

"I'll check out our stockroom if we still have the yellow available," he replied as he added the seat in his list of things to get in their stockroom. "Is there anything else that you need?"

"Where's your paint section?" Richard asked.

The sales rep pointed at an isle and directed them towards the paint section of their store. Then he left them to check all their requests.

They were making progress with the bike parts. Richard suggested that they buy all the parts already so that they could assemble everything when they got back home. So far, all the bike parts that they need were available and in Maine's favorite color.

While the sales rep who was helping them checked for the parts in the stockroom, Richard went over the spray paint section for possible colors for the bike frame and handles. He saw Maine reached out to one canister labelled "Silver".

"Silver goes really well with yellow," Richard said, but Maine noticed a slight frown on his lips. "Especially that particular shade. It will give the frame a shiny finish."

"But you don't like it," Maine stated, slightly worried.

As with Alden before, she liked it when she sees them smile. She hated it so much when she notices a frown on their faces. But with Richard, there was a pang of hurt whenever she sees a frown on his face that she never had with Alden. She wanted to take the frown away, she would give anything for his smile.

"I didn't say that."

"But it's written all over your face," she replied with a frown.

There was a sad smile on Richard's face as he sighed, "silver is Rich's favorite color. I was just reminded of him. That's all."

Maine frowned as she placed the spray paint back on the shelf.

"What about you?" She suddenly asked, looking up at him. "What's your favorite color?"

"Black."

"Black is not a color."

"It's in the box of crayons I used as a kid," he reasoned with a smile. "It's a color."

Maine laughed at his reasoning and he joined in. Her heart did that happy beat when she heard him laugh. It was music to her ears.

The sales rep returned with their orders. All was now accounted for except for the paint for the bike frame.

"Does black go well with yellow?" Maine asked the sales rep as he showed Richard their orders.

"It does, ma'am," he replied. "Especially if you get the one with the glossy finish."

He went to the paint section and chose a particular black shade and showed it to them.

"Two coats of this and your bike would look amazing," he said with a smile.

Richard looked Maine and gave her a questioning look. Maine smiled and nodded that they will get the paint. The sales rep was more than happy to assist. They added a few masks and sand paper for cleaning the frame, then they were all set.