Chapter 115

"Jason, hijo?"

Richard woke up with a start but instantly regretted his actions. He fell asleep by Maine's bedside. One hand holding hers, his head rested on his arm by the edge of the bed while sitting on the chair beside her. His neck cricked at his sudden movement and he felt a shot of pain on his shoulders.

"Tita..."

He was gently massaging the back of his neck trying to get the stiffness out of it as he watched Maine's mother arranged the supplies that they've brought from home.

"You should go home, hijo," Mary Anne said as she approached the young man. "You need to get a decent sleep. We can't have both you and Maine sick. You're getting married in three months."

"I'm fine, Tita," he replied. "I've slept in far worse conditions than this. And I could run on only a few hours sleep. It comes with the job description."

"Still," she said. "I insist that you get enough rest."

Mary Anne reached out and placed a hand on his cheek, giving it a motherly caress. She could see that Richard cried himself to sleep. His eyes were still bloodshot and puffy. There were tear stains on his cheek. She heard him sigh.

"Be strong," she said. "She'll pull through. I know she will."

Maine had remained unresponsive since they'd arrived at the hospital last night. His team arrived a few hours after they have settled her in the room.

Martin gave him an update on what happened when they left the airport and was told that Maine was given by the management ample time to recover. Martin could only say that he hoped Maine will get better soon upon seeing his captain looking so lost and forlorn. The rest of their team were there for moral support and all voiced out their hope for Maine's recovery, Jerald most of all.

When both their parents arrived, Richard insisted that he would be staying with Maine. He didn't want to leave her and only asked his parents to bring some stuff for him. He stayed the night, talking to her, trying to get any type of response. But she stayed unresponsive.

"I can't lose her, Tita," Richard said in a hoarse whisper.

"You won't," she reassured. "Just believe. Have faith. She will get through this."

"I wish there was something I could do."

"You're doing it already," Mary Anne said. "Just your presence here would give her strength. But right now, I would insist that you go home and get some rest. You need it. If anything happens, we'll call you immediately."

"But Tita - "

"Maine isn't going anywhere," she cut him off. "She'll be here when you get back. Preferably this evening."

Richard was about to say something but Maine's mother gave him a look that made him stop. He sighed and just nodded an affirmative.

"Tita - "

"Mom," she cut him off once again.

"I'm sorry?"

"Mom," Mary Anne said again. "You should start calling me 'mom'. You and Maine are getting married in three months. You should practice calling me 'mom'. Maine already calls Rio, mom, and I'm honestly a bit jealous by that. So, you should start calling me 'mom' too.

"Speaking of, Rio is expecting you home. So, you better get up and start getting ready."

"She's not going to lock me in my room, is she?"

"Only if you insist on coming back without at least 8-hours of sleep," she replied.

"Eight hours!" Richard exclaimed. "But that's too long, Ti - Mom!"

"Eight hours," she stated. "And not a minute earlier. Think of yourself as well, Jason. You also can't get sick. You would need your strength. Maine will rely on you when she wakes up."

Richard gave a defeated sigh and just nodded. He prepared to leave after telling Maine's mom that he'd be back in the evening. Mary Anne just shook her head and nodded, shooing him away when he was ready to leave.

He was still getting the stiffness off his neck as he tried to recall where Jerald said he parked his car, since Jerald was the one who drove it to the hospital from the airport. When he finally found his car, he sat on the driver's seat and stared into nothingness for a few moments. A thought caught in his head.

Finally, with a determined look, he put the key in the ignition and started his car with only one destination in mind. He was going to see his brother.

-oo-

The place was deserted when Richard arrived at the cemetery. Week-old flowers were placed by Alden's tombstone. Richard noticed that the flowers were drying up, much like what he was feeling at that moment. Dried up and empty.

He sat in front of his brother's tombstone and sighed. He was silent for a time, trying to get his mind organized. Finally, he heaved another sigh and pinched the ridge of his nose with his fingers.

"I don't know what to do, Rich" said Richard, as a lone tear fell on his cheek. He ignored it and continued, "It's been almost 24-hours and she hasn't so much as twitch. Is it because of me? Are you doing this to her because of me? Rich. Come on! Not her! I'll take all the hate you can give me because we're together. But please! Spare Maine! Don't do this to her because of me. She doesn't deserve it!"

He turned, leaned back and rested his head on Alden's tombstone. Tears began to fall again and he just let it be.

"I can't lose her, Rich," he said in a hoarse whisper. "I just can't. It feels like I'm losing you all over again too. I can't do this!

"Please don't take her away from me, Rich! Please! I need her."

Richard just let himself cry out his pain and fear. He let his tears flow, not bothering to wipe it away as he knew with every drop that fell, another one would follow. Finally, exhaustion got the best of him and he drifted to sleep.