Chapter 7

"Alright," Alden said while trying to make his bed. He turned back to his computer monitor and pushed his glasses up the ridge of his nose before sitting back down in front of his desktop. "I really need to go. Talk to you soon!"

"Yup! Same time?"

"Same time."

He ended the YM video call and shut down his PC. He headed downstairs for breakfast. He took two mugs from the cabinet and poured coffee from the percolator. As he sat down, he placed one of the mugs in front of his mom's usual place at the table while he added sugar and milk on his own mug. When his mom placed the plateful of eggs and bacons and sat down next to him, they said a prayer of thanks and dug in their breakfast.

"Dad says 'hi'," Alden mentioned in between reaching for the fried rice and adding some bacon on his place. "He has a meeting so he needed to rush off."

"And how is -" his mom started to say but Alden cut her off immediately.

"He's fine," he answered. "You don't need to worry."

His mom just nodded and continued to eat her breakfast.

"I'll be heading over at Maine's after breakfast," Alden stated as he hurriedly finished the food on his plate.

"Oh?" Rio asked, eyebrows raised and her mug almost touching her lips. "I thought that we were done with the move? Does Ted need your help with something?"

"No mom," he answered. "Maine asked if I can go with them to the hospital today. It's her first check up since she got here. She'll be meeting her new doctor. Her parents are fine with me tagging along."

Two weeks have passed since the welcome dinner. True to their word, the Faulkersons have been a great help to the Mendozas in their move. With the additional man-power, they were able to make arranging the Mendozas new house a home for the small family.

In between lifting the heavy boxes and rearranging the garage with Maine's father, Alden took his breaks with Maine. He kept her company as much as he can, making sure that she had something to do to take away her boredom and distract her when she wanted to help out in the move. Maine's parents were very thankful to Alden for the distraction, that Maine wasn't as anxious as when they were packing up back in Bulacan. He kept her occupied by giving her riddles where she can ask questions only answerable by a "Yes" or "No". Everytime Alden passed by the garden carrying a box or their things, Maine would ask a question which he would immediately answer before going inside. Echoes of "Yes!" and "No!" filled the house each time Alden came out or came in with boxes in arms. The questions would continue until Maine would solve the riddle.

At night before both of them went to sleep, they would continue talking using the two-way radio Maine provided. Their topics would vary from books, TV shows, to other random topics that would pop into their heads. They would only stop when Alden felt that Maine was really tired and needed sleep.

"Okay," Rio said as they finished with their breakfast. "Just make sure that you don't get Maine overly excited. You know how she can be whenever the two of you are together."

Alden just smiled as he gathered the plates to put in the sink. Maine was indeed a bubble of energy whenever they're together, it was hard to think that she has a heart condition.

He was about to reach for the sponge when his mom said, "leave the dishes. Don't let the Mendozas wait for you."

"Really?" Alden sighed and gave his mom a kiss on the cheek and a tight hug. "Thanks mom! You're the best!"

"Of course I am," his mom answered with a toothy grin. "Now go get ready."

A couple of minutes later, Alden said good bye to his mom and headed next door. He rang the door bell and Ate Jenny, Maine's nurse, opened the gate for him.