Chapter 41

"I really don't think this is a good idea, Je," said Sam as they approached their table with the drinks they've ordered. "I don't want Jason's wrath on me."

"Don't worry," replied Jerald. "I've got your back."

"The last time you've said that," Sam remarked. "I ended up kneeling outside of Patricia's door, begging her to let me in."

"This is just harmless fun," Jerald assured him. "We're not going to leave her alone. We'll make sure that no one takes advantage of her if she did get drunk. Besides, Jase will take her home. What could possibly go wrong?"

Sam just sighed and shook his head. He knew he couldn't stop Jerald once his mind was set. He was just worried about the consequences.

The get together at Grappas was at full swing. Everyone was enjoying themselves. Richard and Maine arrived together and were inseparable for awhile. Maine being content to just stay with Richard since she was already comfortable with him. Their afternoon together yesterday helped her get to know him better and found that she really genuinely wanted to spend more time with him, not just because he was Alden's brother. They ended up playing at the arcade the whole afternoon and when they got home, Rio insisted that Maine join them for dinner which Maine readily accepted. It was the first time in years that she once again entered the Faulkerson house. It was like coming home.

When they were separated, Richard kept taking sidelong glances at Maine. Part of the reason was because he was making sure she was okay. But mostly because she was really extra beautiful that night that he really couldn't take his eyes off her.

"If you stare at her more," Martin said as he sat down at his table where Richard was with the other male FAs , George and Tom. "She's going to melt. You're going to make her self-conscious, Jase. Loosen up."

"She does look lovely tonight, Martin," George replied. But then he glanced at Richard and saw the serious look on his face. He quickly added, "easy, Cap. I respect boundaries. We already know Maine's off limits the moment the both of you stepped inside the bar. I was just stating facts."

"And for formality sake, Captain," Tom added. "She's been 'friend-zoned' by everyone on the team since Paris. No one will attempt to knock off 'The Great Wall'. We'll even help reinforce it."

Martin barked a laugh as Richard tried to cover his embarrassment at their revelation.

"Is it that obvious?" Richard asked, mortified.

"It is with everyone except for Maine herself," Martin replied. "But I have my own theories about that. So loosen up, Jase. She's perfectly fine and seems to be enjoying herself. So I suggest you enjoy too."

Richard just gave a short chuckle and shook his head as he tried to ease off and enjoy the rest of the evening.

-oo-

Maine was indeed enjoying herself. Her previous team wasn't as accommodating as this new team so it was easy to loosen up and be friends with everyone. Richard urged her to mingle with the others as it was the reason why Martin organized this get-together in the first place. She was reluctant at first, being already satisfied by just staying him the whole night. But she knew he was right. She would be with them for more than two months so she would need to be comfortable working with them as well. So, she started chatting with the other girls in the team.

Maine felt, rather than saw Richard watching her. That made her feel more at ease since she knew that he was there. It was like having Alden all over again. It made her smile knowing that he was around.

Sam and Jerald have been handing drinks to everyone, and with Martin giving strict instructions on not giving her any alcoholic beverage, she didn't notice that her iced-tea tasted different from the previous ones she'd been drinking. She was already on her third glass when she started feeling the palpitations.

"Are you alright, Maine?" Abbie asked since she was the one who was right beside her that time.

"I think I needed to get some air," Maine replied as she took a deep breath and held her chest. She was starting to get dizzy.

"We'll join you," Ardee said as Abbie was already assisting Maine to stand.

The three of them went outside to get some air.

-oo-

Richard suddenly found himself trying to catch his breath and he knew instantly that something was wrong with Maine. He looked back at the table where she was a while ago with the other FAs and found that she wasn't there anymore. He started to feel uneasy.

"Well that was boring," he heard Jerald say to Sam when they joined them. "I'd half expected her to be like Tanya when she gets drunk."

Richard suddenly stood up and headed towards the table where the other FAs where. The guys were surprised by his actions and followed.

"Hey Raqz," he started. "Which one is Maine's glass?"

Raqz pointed at one of the glasses that has what looked like iced-tea. Richard smelled the drink and took a sip. He slammed the glass down at the table, startling the rest of the girls. He looked at a worried looking Jerald, his eyes were serious and menacing, "you spiked her drink?"

"YOU DID WHAT?!?" Martin exclaimed looking at Jerald with a horrified expression. "You idiot boy! I told you, Maine should not have any alcoholic beverages!"

"It was just small amounts, Martin," Jerald reasoned. "It's nothing serious, I swear!"

Richard launched himself at Jerald determined to hurt his friend, if not for Sam and George holding him off. Martin, who was nearer to Jerald whacked him on the head.

"Oh my God, Jerald!" They heard his girlfriend, Valeen, cried in disbelief. "What have you done?"

"Have I not made myself specifically clear!" Martin shouted. "Maine should not be given alcohol! She's taking steroids for crying out loud! She's not allowed to drink at all!"

Jerald looked mortified as he completely forgot about Maine's condition. Richard kept struggling but George and Sam held him tight.

"Damn it, Je!" Richard swore as he continued to struggle against his captors. "If something bad happens to Maine, I swear to God - "

"Jase!"

Everyone turned to the person who called and saw Abbie standing with a bottled water in her hand.

"Maine's looking for you," she said, feeling the tension in the room. "She said she doesn't feel too good."

Sam and George immediately let him go as Richard hurriedly followed Abbie outside where she left Ardee with Maine. But the sight that welcomed them almost sent Richard over the edge.

There were two guys who were hitting on both Ardee and Maine. The men seemed to have had one too many to drink. Ardee was trying to make them leave while Maine was ignoring them completely. She wasn't feeling too well as it is and these men weren't helping. It didn't help her nausea that the men were reeking of alcohol.

Richard tried to calm down and was just planning to talk nicely so the two men would leave them alone when one of the men reached for Maine's arm.

"Take your hands off her," Richard said slowly but dangerously, getting the attention of the two men.

"This is none of your business."

"She is my business," he replied as he pried the man's hand off Maine's arm.

"I told you her boyfriend was just inside," Ardee said.

"Walk away, gentlemen," Richard said as he stood face to face with the guy who held Maine. Maine reached out to hold his hand. Richard tightened his hold on hers, assuring her that everything was alright. "Just walk away while you still can."

"And if we don't?"

"Then you'll be dealing with the rest of us."

Richard heard Jerald's voice behind him. He turned to see the whole team was outside. The two men got intimidated and slowly walked away. Richard didn't notice it anymore as he knelt down and gave his full attention to Maine.

-oo-

Author's Note:
Disclaimer on the medical condition...remember, this is now purely fiction. Anything after the operation is not accurate but written for the reading pleasure of my readers.