Chapter 86

Their whole team, which now included Sam's girlfriend Patricia, left early that morning on a rented van and boarded a ferry from Batangas to Mindoro. Martin was able to arrange an inland tour for the group. So after checking in at the resort and settled into their assigned rooms, they left for Ponderosa Golf Club for a bit of hiking.

Richard and Maine followed behind during the hike of about 2000 feet uphill, keeping a pace that Maine can follow so that she wouldn't exert too much. He was always right behind her, making sure that he was at arms reach in case she needed it. But Maine pressed on, stopping only a few times to drink some water Richard offered her and keeping up with the rest of the team. When they reached the summit and saw the breath taking view of the whole island, Maine immediately turned and wrapped her arms around his waist, stealing a quick peck on the cheek. She was clearly happy with her achievement and Richard felt proud of her accomplishment.

The group then decided to take the zipline downhill, a prospect that Maine was very excited to experience but at the same time apprehensive. When the team started to fall in line for their turn in the zipline, Richard noticed that Maine's hand were cold and the color was slowly draining from her face.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked as they watched Martin getting ready to go down.

Maine took a deep breath and replied, "yes. Just as long as you go down with me."

He took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. He replied, "of course. You know I will."

When it was their turn on the zipline, Maine was holding on to Richard's arm a little too tightly that he was already feeling numb from her grip. But he kept silent and just watched her as she experienced both the excitement and the fear of the zipline. It was another first for Maine, so he endured the numbness as they slid down the line through the rainforest. Maine screamed with glee as she felt the wind rushing on her face and the forest below her. Richard was oblivious to all that as he centered his attention on her. The delight on her face, the hold on his arm, and the sound of her voice were the only thing that registered.

Their next stop was Tamaraw Falls. The place was famous for its history, as the falls was named after the now endangered species that used to inhabit the area. The group just checked the place out as they were awed by the way the different falls interconnect to meet at the bottom where man made pools were created. They didn't stay long but they maximized their time in viewing and admiring the place.

On their last stop, they were brought to the white sandy beach of Aplayang Munti where they were served a barbecued picnic lunch. Pleasant conversation flowed between the group as they made Patricia feel welcomed in the team. Ardee was also being teased as she would be heading a new team when they get back to Manila. Maine was saddened to see Ardee leave as she had become close to her in the last rotation, but she was also happy that Patty was a welcome addition to the group.

Richard could see Maine enjoying herself immensely that he just kept to the background, only letting himself known when she would reach out to him. There was a twinkle in her eyes that he loved so much. It was full of life and promise, that he swore to himself that he would keep that spark in her as much as he can.

-oo-

They were staying in one of the beach resorts in Puerto Galera. When they got back from the inland tour, Martin told the group that they had the time for themselves until the evening for the bonfire. So the team went their separate ways, checking out the different activities the Resort has to offer.

Richard and Maine though preferred to stay indoors. Martin insisted that they share a room as he hinted that it would be their arrangement when they start the experiment. Richard was about to argue but the look Martin sent him made him halt any attempt to argue. Martin can be a big scary gay man if he really wanted to.