Chapter 23

Alden's positive response gave Dr. Cariño hope that there was a chance for him to wake up. His family was now holding on to that possibility. Jason kept on talking to his brother, occasionally playing his guitar and singing to him. Each day brought new hope.

It was another story for Maine though.

Dr. Vega has been looking around for a possible heart candidate for Maine. But so far, the candidates were not compatible. Each time he found a possible match, the test would show a different result. The esteemed doctor was slowly giving up hope that he would find a compatible heart for Maine.

Jason wanted to visit Maine. But he has yet to ask permission again after Ted told him no that first time. The sight of him might still be unnerving to the Mendozas that he tried to stay clear of them as much as possible. His face was a reminder of the reason why Maine was in the hospital. Although the Mendozas never said anything or even hint about blaming them, Rich's accident put a strain on Maine's heart. He wasn't to blame of course but it was the reality of their situation.

So Jason focused on his twin and tried to stay away. But knowing Rich, he felt that Rich wouldn't have approved. Rich wasn't there at the moment. And Maine needed his brother as well. He needed to step into his brother's shoes and be there for the girl his twin liked.

So after gathering his courage, he grabbed his guitar and knocked on the door adjacent to his brother's room. He was met by Maine's mother who initially looked surprised but immediately smiled at the visitor.

"Hi, Tita Mary Anne," he greeted shyly.

"Jason," she said. "Come in. You're timing is actually perfect. I needed to head down a bit to buy something at the mini-grocery across the street. Ted really needed to work so I'm currently all alone."

"Is it really okay for me to stay here, ma'am?" He asked, a hint of uncertainty flashed across his face.

Mary Anne just smiled and answered, "you Faulkerson boys are so polite. You're parents raised you well. Please. You're always welcome here and in our home. Don't hesitate to stop by."

"Thank you, Tita," he smiled and looked towards the bed where Maine was lying. She was still sedated, as the pain in her heart was still unbearable when they tried to take her out of it. "How is she?"

There was a sad smile on Mary Anne's face as she answered, "she really needs a heart transplant. But at the moment, Dr. Vega could not find a possible match. The heart donors that were on his short list weren't compatible."

"Is there anything we can do to help?" He asked.

"You being here is help enough," she replied. "Rio told us that you were the one who usually sings to Maine, seeing as apparently Alden couldn't carry a tune. And since you brought your guitar with you, I'm assuming that you were planning to sing to my daughter."

"Is it okay if I sing to her while you go on your errand?"

"Of course, Jase," Mary Anne smiled. "It might actually do some good. I'll leave you with her. I won't be long. I promise."

She took her leave, leaving Jason standing near Maine's bedside. He leaned his guitar on the wall and sat on the seat beside her bed. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Hi!" He started. "I'm RJ. I'm Ri - Alden's twin brother."

He looked at the heart monitor and then at her face to see any signs of activity but there was none. She remained unchanged. Jason looked at her and was a bit upset to see that her eyebrows were furrowed, as if she was having a bad dream.

"Rich," he continued. "Sorry. You know him as 'Alden'. I don't call him 'Alden'. He's Rich to me. At the same token, he never calls me 'Jase', he calls me 'RJ'. It's our secret name to each other. But you can call me 'RJ' too if you like. I wouldn't mind. I'm sure Rich wouldn't mind too if you call him that too. Let's make it our secret, the three of us."

Jason knew he was just saying the first things that came out his mind. He was only like that when he was nervous. He suddenly wondered why he was nervous. He was rarely nervous especially when it comes to girls. So why does Maine affected him like that? She wasn't even conscious at the moment.

He took a deep breath and let it out in a huff. He proceeded with his monologue, "you know. Rich was holding out on me. The webcam images don't do you justice. You're really pretty, Maine...damn it, why did I just say that?

"Don't get me wrong, Maine. You really are pretty. Even with your face scrunched up like that in a grimace, you're still pretty. But I would give anything to know what's going on in that head of yours for you to frown like that in your sleep. If I could chase the bad dreams away, I would. Are you thinking about my brother? I'm sure he's thinking about you too."

He felt a sudden stab on his chest when he said that. He wondered about it again but brushed it off.

"I wrote a song for you again," he said as he reached for his guitar and checked if it was tuned right. "I think this is very apt in your current condition. I hope you like it."

He started to strum and he began to sing.

🎶I can see it your eyes you're hurting
But pain is part of learning who you are
All these truths can sometimes be deceiving
When your whole world comes crashing to the ground

Tell me everything you need now anything at all
And I will be the one who's waiting anytime you fall

Yeah, When you come undone
When you come undone

You know I can't be like everybody
Cause I can't tell you what you want to hear
I don't know if I can make it better
All I know is I will be around

Tell me everything you need now anything at all
And I will be the one who's waiting anytime you fall

Yeah, When you come undone
When you come undone

When all your plans are made out lying on the floor
And all your dreams are turning into nothing more
When all your hope has left you know you're not alone
Just hold on
Hold on

Tell me everything you need now anything at all
And I will be the one who's waiting anytime you fall

Yeah, When you come undone
When you come undone🎶

When Jason finished the song, he looked up to see Maine's face finally relaxed. He smiled and said, "see? You're even prettier now that your face is relaxed."

He stood up and came close to her bed. He reached out and brushed the lock of hair that covered one of her eyes, and found himself caressing her cheek.

"You really are pretty," he muttered and suddenly closed his eyes tight. "Damn it!"

He immediately withdrew his hand and just stood there beside her bed.

"Maine," he said and cleared his throat. "Rich has always been telling me that you're strong. So I know you can beat this. You need to get better. Do it for Rich. Do you really want him to worry about you? I'm sure you don't. So please, get better."

He sat back down and started playing his guitar once more, playing the song he composed and played for her the night before Rich had an accident in a loop until Maine's mother returned from her errand.

-oo-

Author's note: Song disclaimer: again, the song isn't an original composition. Song for the day is "Undone" by Lifehouse from their album "Lifehouse" released in 2005.

The song RJ played in a loop while waiting for Maine's mom to return was again "Central Park", the one he sang when Maine had a relapse...let's just say that it was a song he first composed for her.